Exam Preperation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZEZO4

ZEZO
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just got the approval to do the exam, It is scheduled for the 3rd. quarter, any advices for the courses? references? time schedules? for both seismic and survey exams.

Thank you for sharing your advices and ideas.  

I took EET courses for both and was very happy with them. I studies for a month for the surveying and a month and a half for the seismic. But I did put in ~20 hrs per week studying. 

Good luck.

I used EET for Seismic and Reza for surveying. Only used workbooks, no classes. Spent about 50-60 hrs on seismic and 20-30 hrs on surveying. Passed both on my first attempt. Only suggestion I will give is to practice/practice and practice. 

By the way, I have both of the workbooks for sale. Like new condition with no marks. Inbox me if you're interested. 

EET for seismic. I took Hiner and failed and now taking EET course. Don't know yet how I will do but if you are considering a full course with videos and stuff, I definitely recommend EET over Hiner. It's just more elaborate, you don't have to get ASCE or CBC (everything will be in the EET manual)  and EET provides way more practice problems. 

I used CPESR for survey and in addition solved half of "120 problems with solutions" book. This was enough for me, passed on the first try but I also did some surveying in the past so that was very helpful I am sure.

Hi Everyone,

I just got the approval to do the exam, It is scheduled for the 3rd. quarter, any advices for the courses? references? time schedules? for both seismic and survey exams.

may I ask how long it took from the day you submitted your application from the day you heard back you are good to go?

I took EET courses for both and was very happy with them. I studies for a month for the surveying and a month and a half for the seismic. But I did put in ~20 hrs per week studying. 

Good luck.
What about the examination, did you pass? or not try yet?

I used EET for Seismic and Reza for surveying. Only used workbooks, no classes. Spent about 50-60 hrs on seismic and 20-30 hrs on surveying. Passed both on my first attempt. Only suggestion I will give is to practice/practice and practice. 

By the way, I have both of the workbooks for sale. Like new condition with no marks. Inbox me if you're interested. 
Thank you new_at_this for your advices and Congratulations for your pass. 

EET for seismic. I took Hiner and failed and now taking EET course. Don't know yet how I will do but if you are considering a full course with videos and stuff, I definitely recommend EET over Hiner. It's just more elaborate, you don't have to get ASCE or CBC (everything will be in the EET manual)  and EET provides way more practice problems. 

I used CPESR for survey and in addition solved half of "120 problems with solutions" book. This was enough for me, passed on the first try but I also did some surveying in the past so that was very helpful I am sure.
Thank you Maycha for your advices, I hope you can pass the seismic nex time...good luck.

I used Hiner workbook to pass Seismic. I self studied it all. Studied for 1.5 months. Took me 2 tries to pass and I'm pretty sure I barely passed. I hear EET is better for Seismic.

I used Reza workbook to pass Survey. I self studied it all. Studied for 1 month. Took me 2 tries to pass. I didn't use Reza on my first attempt, which was a mistake.

Hi Everyone,

Seismic: I used Heiner's course and book (With the course he includes 2 online exams with same conditions as the real exam) and also bougth EET practice exams (Also had an online option). Spent around 100 hours in total (Videos+book+practice exams). Also, both include incredible useful cheat sheets!!!

Survey: I used Reza course and book and Manzour solved problems (Be carefull to check if the test program is updated, when I took it, only Reza had it updated). Spent 80 hours in total (Video+book+practice exams).

Passed both exams first try.

As advice, as @new_at_this said, practice, practice and practice. Solving problems fast and jumping to the next when you can't solve it is the main thing in both exams. For Seismic you'll find tons of exam like problems, but for surveying is hard to get a lot of problems.

Also, is really important that you tag your materials and MUST be fast finding what you need during the exam. I used one binder with copies of all relevant info for every test, and took the reference books with as backup (i.e. Heiners, IBC, ASCE 7-10 and Reza), so I was flipping only within one binder and not jumping from book to another.

I hope it helps.

Seismic: I used Heiner's course and book (With the course he includes 2 online exams with same conditions as the real exam) and also bougth EET practice exams (Also had an online option). Spent around 100 hours in total (Videos+book+practice exams). Also, both include incredible useful cheat sheets!!!

Survey: I used Reza course and book and Manzour solved problems (Be carefull to check if the test program is updated, when I took it, only Reza had it updated). Spent 80 hours in total (Video+book+practice exams).

Passed both exams first try.

As advice, as @new_at_this said, practice, practice and practice. Solving problems fast and jumping to the next when you can't solve it is the main thing in both exams. For Seismic you'll find tons of exam like problems, but for surveying is hard to get a lot of problems.

Also, is really important that you tag your materials and MUST be fast finding what you need during the exam. I used one binder with copies of all relevant info for every test, and took the reference books with as backup (i.e. Heiners, IBC, ASCE 7-10 and Reza), so I was flipping only within one binder and not jumping from book to another.

I hope it helps.
Thank you JPMCL for your advices, for the survey, I see most of you guys recommend Reza and EET (so I'm between them), for the seismic, I probably go with EET.

Hi Everyone,

I used an old Hiner workbook for seismic. Practiced a LOT of problems. In the end of my preparation, I bought the EET Seismic practice tests package that had 3 practice tests (varying difficulties: Tricky, Lengthy, Appropriate) as CBTs and a book comprising all tests and solutions that I brought to the exam. Passed first try. I am selling these practice tests for a highly discounted rate along with access to the CBTs. Let me know if you're interested. 

For Surveying, the first time I used Mansour and Cuomo. Bought Reza workbook towards the end of the test prep and couldn't finish. Was very close to passing (M, P, P, D) Second time, studied Reza pretty hard for 3 weeks. Did tons of problems including repetition of hard/challenging problems. Did much better second try and still waiting to hear back. Hope this helps. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I used an old Hiner workbook for seismic. Practiced a LOT of problems. In the end of my preparation, I bought the EET Seismic practice tests package that had 3 practice tests (varying difficulties: Tricky, Lengthy, Appropriate) as CBTs and a book comprising all tests and solutions that I brought to the exam. Passed first try. I am selling these practice tests for a highly discounted rate along with access to the CBTs. Let me know if you're interested. 

For Surveying, the first time I used Mansour and Cuomo. Bought Reza workbook towards the end of the test prep and couldn't finish. Was very close to passing (M, P, P, D) Second time, studied Reza pretty hard for 3 weeks. Did tons of problems including repetition of hard/challenging problems. Did much better second try and still waiting to here back. Hope this helps. 
Thank you Structural 2552, Sounds Reza workbook very worth, for the seismic, I already ordered the EET seismic practice test package.

Back