Engineering as a "status" occupation? LMAO

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exengineer

Reaction score
Does anyone remember a time when someone in engineering was considered to have status in the same way a lawyer or a doctor was considered?  Looking back on that now I am LMAO at people who would think such a thing to be true.  Transport drivers and heavy equipment operators can and do make more than many engineers.  Are these people also held in high esteem?  Why would parents be proud of a son or daughter who is an engineer and not of a son or daughter driving a truck across state or international borders?  What is wrong with people like that?

giphy.gif

For the newbies, Exengineer is no longer an engineer, and periodically needs to come to this engineering forum to tell us that engineering is a stupid profession.  Not sure what kind of kinky sexual thrill he gets out of it, but it must do something for him.

For the newbies, Exengineer is no longer an engineer, and periodically needs to come to this engineering forum to tell us that engineering is a stupid profession.  Not sure what kind of kinky sexual thrill he gets out of it, but it must do something for him.
Thanks for the context.

So did he lose his job and is trying to tell us he now makes more $$$ as a truck driver or is "transport driver" just fancy resume talk for an Uber driver?

Last edited by a moderator:
So did he lose his job and is trying to tell us he now makes more $$$ as a truck driver or is "transport driver" just fancy resume talk for an Uber driver?
Dunno.  I'm sure he's in a glamorous profession now, like hand model or garbage man.  I think he has said what he does now in other threads, but I really don't care enough to look it up.

Does anyone remember a time when someone in engineering was considered to have status in the same way a lawyer or a doctor was considered?  Looking back on that now I am LMAO at people who would think such a thing to be true.  Transport drivers and heavy equipment operators can and do make more than many engineers.  Are these people also held in high esteem?  Why would parents be proud of a son or daughter who is an engineer and not of a son or daughter driving a truck across state or international borders?  What is wrong with people like that?
Dv5e5.gif

Nothing wrong with being in an engineering field as long as it it not becoming derelict and obsolete.  My objection is with people who glorify it as something magnificent when in reality it's just a living, not a life.  Driving a dump truck is a living too and those who choose that path deserve just as much "status" as an engineer.

Back