NYS PE Application - Work Experience

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDeebs PE

Reaction score
I am currently working on putting together the required work experience list for the NYS application. I have the projects that I've worked on broken down including the general time frame that I've worked on each project (ex: Sep 2016 - May 2015). The form then asks for the time in years and months that I am claiming for experience for each project. This is where my question comes into play.

Since I, as I am sure nearly everyone has, worked on more than one project at a time, the individual length of each project totals up to much longer than the 4 actual years of experience I am claiming on the application. I've had to add in extra sheets of the Part C to include all of the work experience. The application requires you to total up the time at the end of each sheet, so I was thinking that I would keep somewhat of an "actual" total instead of a "running" total per page. 

Essentially, if page #1 has a project that ran from May 2015 - Mar 2015, I would enter "10 months" in the total for that sheet. Then if the next page has a project that ran from Aug 2015 - May 2016, I would enter "2 months" in the total for that sheet. This would show that even though I worked on two projects for 10 months each, the total experience time elapsed was only 1 year. However, there are a couple sheets where the work experience I have on that page are totally encompassed within the time period of a project on a previous page, meaning the work experience on the page would be "0 months." I don't want to send in pages that say even though I've worked on three projects each for say 6 months, the total time I'm claiming for these projects are 0. 

Has anyone ever done it this way and come up with a solution? Am I looking at the work experience incorrectly? Should I just pick a few representative projects that show the qualifying work experience?

When I filled out my application, I tried to look at it as what percentage of the 4 years experience I worked on a specific job. While you may have more than 1 project going on at a time, try looking at it as what percentage of your day did you spend on each job. So if you had 2 jobs that lasted 10 months and you worked 70% of your time on job A and 30% on job B over that time span, you'd put 7 months for job A and 3 months for job B on the application. I think that way would be easier for you to claim time for all of your jobs to show the 4 years required experience.

Make sure to list any codes and/or computer programs you've used on those jobs too... I think the board likes seeing that.

Good luck!

Back