Introduction to LEED - Help

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG

SSG, P.E.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I passed my PE in power last year and I was thinking of taking the LEED exams. I work in the transportation sector, but not sure if this is going to have any advantage in my line of work. 

Couple of questions. 

1. I have done some research, but I am interested to know from LEED accredited members, what are the advantages of being LEED accredited? 
  2. There are two parts to the exam, GA and LEED + . How are these exams? Is there an advantage of taking LEED + or is being a GA good enough. 
  3. Do I need CEUs in the state of CA  to keep the license. 
Thank you in advance. 

- SG

Hi All,

I passed my PE in power last year and I was thinking of taking the LEED exams. I work in the transportation sector, but not sure if this is going to have any advantage in my line of work. 

Couple of questions. 

1. I have done some research, but I am interested to know from LEED accredited members, what are the advantages of being LEED accredited? 
  2. There are two parts to the exam, GA and LEED + . How are these exams? Is there an advantage of taking LEED + or is being a GA good enough. 
  3. Do I need CEUs in the state of CA  to keep the license. 
Thank you in advance. 

- SG
I have been a LEED AP for about 9 years and I have used it.  We had a lot of projects get LEED certification in the past, but most of my current project requirements call for them to be just LEED compliant.  

1. The biggest advantage to being an Accredited Professional is if you have actually have chance to be the LEED AP on a project.  Otherwise, IMHO, it is just more initials after your name.
  2. The LEED GA is sort of like being a EIT.  You really need to get a LEED specialty accreditation if you want to be in charge of LEED certification on a project.  As far as the Exams go, they are a "pump it and dump it" exams.  I took a boot camp and scheduled my exam the day after it ended. I took both exams back to back and passed both on the first time.  I know a lot of people who crammed just before the exam and did a download for the first ten or so minutes of the exam.  From what I can remember, I finished the exam in plenty of time to go over all the questions and time was not a factor.
  3. The CEU's are administered through the USGBC and yes you have to have them and keep them up to date.  There are a lot of free one's out there, but you are required to have a certain number of LEED specific CEU's and these almost always cost money (remember that the U$GBC $tand$ for green).  Note:   You can get LEED Specific credits for working on a LEED certified projects. 
Our company made a big push to get a lot of our staff have LEED accreditation 8 to 12 years ago but not so much now. 

If your company or organization supports it and is willing to pay for it, then go for it.  I am firm believer in getting as much Continuing Education and Certifications on someone else's dime. If you are paying for it out of pocket, then it still may be worth it depending on what you want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back