Sewer Lateral Connection to Manhole

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stockton

Reaction score
I have seen many city codes and standards say sanitary sewer laterals cannot connect to manholes. Sometimes it will state that you can get the city engineer's permission to do it. What is the reasoning behind not allowing this? I am doing a utility design for a cul-de-sac and it just seems to make sense to connect the service lateral at the end of the cul-de-sac to the manhole at the end of the cul-de-sac. 

I have seen many city codes and standards say sanitary sewer laterals cannot connect to manholes. Sometimes it will state that you can get the city engineer's permission to do it. What is the reasoning behind not allowing this? I am doing a utility design for a cul-de-sac and it just seems to make sense to connect the service lateral at the end of the cul-de-sac to the manhole at the end of the cul-de-sac. 
Is this the service to multiple dwelling on the cul-de-sac?  There are special details that need to be adhered to to have sewer flow through MHs but the pipes can go into MHs.

There will be multiple dwellings throughout the cul-de-sac that will connect to the new sewer main line running through the cul-de-sac. At the end of the new sewer main there will be a manhole and I want to connect a lateral that is servicing one house into that manhole. I don't know if that made it more clear or not. Thanks for your help.

Could be a functional restriction.  If someone was to be down there working,  I dont think they'd like having poop coming at them through the wall of the manhole. 

Back