Writing the Seismic from another state

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manimani

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to let and steps involved with applying and writing the Seismic specific exam in California (if I'm registered as an EIT with state Washington). I just wrote my PE this April in Seattle and want to also get my Seismic in CA done as well.

Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Hi all,

Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to let and steps involved with applying and writing the Seismic specific exam in California (if I'm registered as an EIT with state Washington). I just wrote my PE this April in Seattle and want to also get my Seismic in CA done as well.

Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
With the new CA rules, you will have to wait till you pass the exam to sent in the application. Most of their their stuff is pretty straight forward similar to any other state. experience verification, transcripts etc. Once approved you can take the seismic and surveying in any prometric location. You can read further here: https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/appintrope.shtml

Does this mean I have to re-do the same application I did for the State of Washington? i.e filling in experience examples and having validators stamp/seal those?

And I have to wait to actually pass the PE exam to be able to write the seismic specific exam?

Does this mean I have to re-do the same application I did for the State of Washington? i.e filling in experience examples and having validators stamp/seal those?

And I have to wait to actually pass the PE exam to be able to write the seismic specific exam?
You are applying for a license, not to sit for an exam.  Once you have passed the FE and PE-Civil exams from NCEES, gained your required minimum education/engineering experience, submit your application to the California Board. Once your application for licensure is approved, you will be scheduled for the two California Civil exams.

The California Board hasn’t seen what you submitted to Washington for licensure, so how would they know you meet the qualifications for licensure?  If you’re already licensed in another state, you also have the option to submit an NCEES Record, but you will need to first create and complete that with NCEES. 

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

Are the exams open book? And are you required to take both the Surveying and Seismic portions to obtain the civil PE in Cali?

The seismic exam is open book, but you better know them well as you don't have time to be searching for the answers.  Can't comment on the Survey as I haven't taken it (yet).  

Successful completion of both exams is required for a Civil PE in California.  I'm only taking the seismic as it's required for the Guam civil PE.

The seismic exam is open book, but you better know them well as you don't have time to be searching for the answers.  Can't comment on the Survey as I haven't taken it (yet).  

Successful completion of both exams is required for a Civil PE in California.  I'm only taking the seismic as it's required for the Guam civil PE.
Thanks for this. Any practice exams you recommend? 

http://engineerboards.com/topic/25246-everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-ca-surveyseismic-civil-pe-exams/

Check the above thread for details.

I used the Hiner manual & practice exams.  While his practice exams are somewhat close to the actual exam, I'd recommend taking some of the other practice exams available as well for practice.
Thanks for this. One more question, someone mentioned here that you have to pass PE first before you apply for Seismic and survey exam, but I've read elsewhere that you can submit your application to sit in for exams prior to writing and passing NCEES PE. Is this true ?

Also it seems that as part of the application, if you have completed a master's degree, you only need to document 12 months experience from 4 references? This is quite relaxed compared to 36 months for Washington. Am I misguided here ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this. One more question, someone mentioned here that you have to pass PE first before you apply for Seismic and survey exam, but I've read elsewhere that you can submit your application to sit in for exams prior to writing and passing NCEES PE. Is this true ?

Also it seems that as part of the application, if you have completed a master's degree, you only need to document 12 months experience from 4 references? This is quite relaxed compared to 36 months for Washington. Am I misguided here ?
I'm not sure about the first question since I passed the PE first.

Since I had a master's degree, I was able to just document 12 months of experience from 4 references. :)

See page 2 here below application fee

https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/pubs/forms/ceapp.pdf

I'm not sure about the first question since I passed the PE first.

Since I had a master's degree, I was able to just document 12 months of experience from 4 references. :)
Was that 4 references in the same job?

"You should take and pass the NCEES examination prior to applying for licensure in California"

F#** i'm blind. Well that sucks. Now I have to wait another 4-6 weeks. Was hoping I'd just bang this stuff out

Last edited by a moderator:
"You should take and pass the NCEES examination prior to applying for licensure in California"

F#** i'm blind. Well that sucks. Now I have to wait another 4-6 weeks. Was hoping I'd just bang this stuff out
There are other things you can do till then. For example, they require finger prints, and you need to order those cards. They will take some time to reach you. Also, you can get your reference letters ready. Go through their checklist and see what all can you get ready. 

There are other things you can do till then. For example, they require finger prints, and you need to order those cards. They will take some time to reach you. Also, you can get your reference letters ready. Go through their checklist and see what all can you get ready. 
Thanks Brain. Will do.

Back