if you're thinking of bringing a stop watch..

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATDoel

Reaction score
So I didn't have a working watch to bring to the PE exam, I decided to bring a stop watch instead.  Small device, two buttons, start/stop and lap, didn't make any sounds, basic lcd screen.  I had it taken from me, then returned, then taken again.  "Banned electronic device" they said.  It's a stop watch, approved wrist watches have the exact same stop watch function as this.  "Sorry, it isn't a wrist watch, you can't have it".  What if I get a rubber band and attach it to my wrist?  It's a watch on my wrist, wrist watch.  "Rubber bands aren't allowed".  Oh come on...

I mean seriously, what's wrong with these people?  I felt like they were about to do random cavity searches at any moment.  Really screwed up my time management, when they announced 15 minutes I thought we had close to an hour left in the PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which exam did you take?  If it was CBT, the examinee guide clearly defines what items are/are not allowed.

Allowed

• The ID used during the admission process • Calculator (without the cover) that complies with the current NCEES Calculator Policy • Key to your test center locker • Reusable booklet and marker supplied by Pearson VUE • Eyeglasses (without the case) • Light sweater or jacket • Items included in the Pearson VUE Comfort Aid List

Not allowed

Items not permitted in the testing room include but are not limited to cell phones, handheld computers/personal digital assistants (PDAs) or other electronic devices, fitness trackers, pagers, watches, wallets, purses, hats and other head coverings (unless they qualify as religious apparel), bags, coats, books, notes, pens, pencils, erasers, food, and beverages.

Which exam did you take?  If it was CBT, the examinee guide clearly defines what items are/are not allowed.

Allowed

• The ID used during the admission process • Calculator (without the cover) that complies with the current NCEES Calculator Policy • Key to your test center locker • Reusable booklet and marker supplied by Pearson VUE • Eyeglasses (without the case) • Light sweater or jacket • Items included in the Pearson VUE Comfort Aid List

Not allowed

Items not permitted in the testing room include but are not limited to cell phones, handheld computers/personal digital assistants (PDAs) or other electronic devices, fitness trackers, pagers, watches, wallets, purses, hats and other head coverings (unless they qualify as religious apparel), bags, coats, books, notes, pens, pencils, erasers, food, and beverages.
PE, we're allowed to bring "wrist watches and clocks", no smart watches and apparently no stop watches.

Last edited by a moderator:
To clarify any misunderstanding, the items allowed are now dependent on the type of PE exam you took.  The paper and pencil exams allow wrist watches and clocks while the CBT does not.  

To clarify any misunderstanding, the items allowed are now dependent on the type of PE exam you took.  The paper and pencil exams allow wrist watches and clocks while the CBT does not.  
Sorry, I associate CBT with the EIT, I took the paper and pencil PE ( Civil WRE).  We were allowed watches and clocks.

If I were you I would have brought alternatives other than the stop watch just in case. I find it odd that the exam administration are inconsistent with providing visible clocks in the exam room. Taking away watches /time devices without providing alternatives is just unfair regardless of what was instructed prior to exam date. Especially for such a stressful daunting exam.

If I were you I would have brought alternatives other than the stop watch just in case. I find it odd that the exam administration are inconsistent with providing visible clocks in the exam room. Taking away watches /time devices without providing alternatives is just unfair regardless of what was instructed prior to exam date. Especially for such a stressful daunting exam.
in hindsight yes, should have brought an alternative, I honestly never thought there could possibly be an issue with bringing a stop watch since wrist watches have the same function.  Considering how expensive this test is to take, there should have been a $5 clock in there somewhere.... there was around 300 people at my test, that's $100k right there.... I'm still salty about it.

I've seen much worse taken away! One time a proctor took away this chicks composition books. She had about 3 of them and the proctor claimed that they weren't allowed. I know the rules say you can't have legal pads I don't remember seeing anything about composition notebooks though. I felt so bad for her!!!

Considering how expensive this test is to take, there should have been a $5 clock in there somewhere.
What would be even better is if all the proctors wore clocks, Flavor Flav style!!

But yeah, I'd still be carrying some bitterness too!

dc0a5ad3-f1b1-4f4e-bae2-e6686cdf1b73_flavor-flav-Tom-Briglia-filmmagic-3-30-12.jpg

So I didn't have a working watch to bring to the PE exam, I decided to bring a stop watch instead.  Small device, two buttons, start/stop and lap, didn't make any sounds, basic lcd screen.  I had it taken from me, then returned, then taken again.  "Banned electronic device" they said.  It's a stop watch, approved wrist watches have the exact same stop watch function as this.  "Sorry, it isn't a wrist watch, you can't have it".  What if I get a rubber band and attach it to my wrist?  It's a watch on my wrist, wrist watch.  "Rubber bands aren't allowed".  Oh come on...

I mean seriously, what's wrong with these people?  I felt like they were about to do random cavity searches at any moment.  Really screwed up my time management, when they announced 15 minutes I thought we had close to an hour left in the PM.
CT?

I've seen much worse taken away! One time a proctor took away this chicks composition books. She had about 3 of them and the proctor claimed that they weren't allowed. I know the rules say you can't have legal pads I don't remember seeing anything about composition notebooks though. I felt so bad for her!!!
Yeah, that would be horrible.  If something isn't explicitly outlawed, there needs to be some kind of logic test to see if it should be outlawed or not.  Does a stop watch have the same function as a regular watch and gives no advantage to the test taker?  Ok, it's allowed.  Does a composition book serve the same purpose as a 3 ring binder or any other type of acceptable bound reference material?  Ok, it's allowed.

I mean really, what they're doing is a bit much.

Just took for third time.

On something like this should check with NCEES.  On a previous attempt, wanted to highlight items  in a reference. At the time, NCEES didnt explicity say highlight was allowed or prohbited. So I contacted them to make sure highlighting was allowed. It is.

Back