April 2019 Power PE Exam - Page 2 - Power Exam Sub Forum - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
StrugglingEngineer

April 2019 Power PE Exam

6 hours ago, ndekens said:

This is about my 17th (Yes I mean '17'TH') time taking this exam. The AM portion except for the code questions were a bit unexpected for me. I took almost the whole 4 hours to complete. The PM portion was easier for me. I was done about 45 minutes early. Haven't seen the battery stuff before on one of these exams....at least from what I remember.

I think the majority of the difficulty with this exam was the unexpected questions that my have not been used before.

3 hours ago, ndekens said:

California; You only apply to the CA state board after you pass.......we are going to have a bunch of registered green engineers in like 2 years might not be such a good thing.

Thanks for the info! I'll keep it in my back pocket just in case. Still have one one more try in my state.

Hopefully, we'll get good results in 6 weeks. I will remain positive, but it is very difficult especially when you start recalling some of the problems and then doubting the answer choices that were made during the exam.

7 hours ago, Messi said:

It was my first attempt for the PE exam and I started preparing back in December. I think i have put around 400 hrs since then. Everything was going well and i was pretty confident about the exam. I got laid off along with others , a day before the exam as my company shut down the office due to downturn in business. That did affect my mental status going into the exam but I am not sure to the extent that I will fail because of it.

I did straight guesses for 7 questions in the morning and around 6 in the afternoon. I agree with most of you above that the questions weren't tough but needed some critical thinking to eliminate the wrong answers. I think I will pass if my educated guesses end up being correct. 

I'm sorry to hear about your job.  What a terrible variable to throw into your test day.  But let us be confident that it only made you more determined to pass!

• Sad 1

I'm glad to read the consensus seems to be it was better on the test takers than the last couple of sessions.  I can't believe it has been a full year since I put myself through that meat grinder.

Am session was good for me, might guessed Couple of problems, PM session was hard, gussed 7 questions. I'm 75% confident. 

15 hours ago, Messi said:

It was my first attempt for the PE exam and I started preparing back in December. I think i have put around 400 hrs since then. Everything was going well and i was pretty confident about the exam. I got laid off along with others , a day before the exam as my company shut down the office due to downturn in business. That did affect my mental status going into the exam but I am not sure to the extent that I will fail because of it.

I did straight guesses for 7 questions in the morning and around 6 in the afternoon. I agree with most of you above that the questions weren't tough but needed some critical thinking to eliminate the wrong answers. I think I will pass if my educated guesses end up being correct. 

Sorry to hear your job situation. About the exam I think I had a similar sorts of experience. Had to guess couple in the morning and afternoon. 

• Sad 1

On 4/8/2019 at 4:14 PM, Messi said:

Where are you located?  There are so many recruiters looking for Electrical engineers in my area.  

On 4/8/2019 at 4:14 PM, Messi said:

Messi chin up! Since you are an electrical engineer there is plenty of jobs out there. Hopefully you passed.

• Like 1

Hate to be that guy, but if everyone thinks it was "easier" then you can surely expect the passing grade to go up?

did anyone get the dreaded survey after the exam?  it almost certainly means you failed - NCEES looks to gather info from the non-passing test takers.

the one time i failed i got it, when i passed i didn't receive it.  hopefully none of you already failed.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, a4u2fear said:

did anyone get the dreaded survey after the exam?

My brother's girlfriends uncle said that surveys wouldn't be sent out this test cycle.

1 hour ago, a4u2fear said:

did anyone get the dreaded survey after the exam?  it almost certainly means you failed - NCEES looks to gather info from the non-passing test takers.

the one time i failed i got it, when i passed i didn't receive it.  hopefully none of you already failed.

fake news

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, nyeit said:

Where are you located?  There are so many recruiters looking for Electrical engineers in my area.  

I am located in the Chicago area. 

21 minutes ago, SargeLausage said:

Just got mine.

It was just a joke. I got mine this morning also. Don't read anything into it. Just fill it out and keep waiting like everyone else for that result notice email. 

On 4/10/2019 at 8:32 AM, a4u2fear said:

This is false. Please don't give anyone a reason to be any more fearful then they have to be. Everyone in this thread has already been through enough as it is. 😊

I hope everyone is enjoying having their personal time back now that they can take a break from studying. Results will be out soon enough, try to enjoy the extra quiet time and don't get too wrapped up into "woulda shoulda coulda's" 👍

5 minutes ago, Zach Stone, P.E. said:

This is false. Please don't give anyone a reason to be any more fearful then they have to be. Everyone in this thread has already been through enough as it is. 😊

I hope everyone is enjoying having their personal time back now that they can take a break from studying. Results will be out soon enough, try to enjoy the extra quiet time and don't get too wrapped up into "woulda shoulda coulda's" 👍

Dude, you're doing it wrong

This was my first time taking it (April 2019) after being out of school for roughly 28 years.  My work experience is 100% on the Utility side of Power, so no prior background with NEC.  My personal take is that the morning session was rougher than the afternoon, but maybe we don't all get these in the same order.  Did not manage my time well on the AM session, but finished early on the Afternoon session and had time to go back and review.  Hopefully, that balances out.  I think they far exceeded their published percentage of NEC-related questions on this exam, but that's not all bad, if you learn where to look.  I'm curious if anyone else feels like the AM was the more challenging portion of the exam and if topics covered in the AM/PM sessions are the same at all testing locations.  I'd also agree with other comments that there were some topics that were completely unpredicted.  Not a lot, but a few that were not in any practice or review classes that I took.

Good Luck to everyone waiting on April Results!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GPBurdell_91 said:

This was my first time taking it (April 2019) after being out of school for roughly 28 years.  My work experience is 100% on the Utility side of Power, so no prior background with NEC.  My personal take is that the morning session was rougher than the afternoon, but maybe we don't all get these in the same order.  Did not manage my time well on the AM session, but finished early on the Afternoon session and had time to go back and review.  Hopefully, that balances out.  I think they far exceeded their published percentage of NEC-related questions on this exam, but that's not all bad, if you learn where to look.  I'm curious if anyone else feels like the AM was the more challenging portion of the exam and if topics covered in the AM/PM sessions are the same at all testing locations.  I'd also agree with other comments that there were some topics that were completely unpredicted.  Not a lot, but a few that were not in any practice or review classes that I took.

I personally thought the AM was easier. I work with utilities but don't reference any of the codes too often. But I also basically hoped for code questions since that's historically been a strong section for me. 

3 hours ago, GPBurdell_91 said:

I felt the same. Morning session was more challenging compared to the afternoon session. Did not expect to see so many NEC questions.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sritakkallapalli said:

I felt the same. Morning session was more challenging compared to the afternoon session. Did not expect to see so many NEC questions.

I guess everyone's background is different even though we are all electrical.  I find the morning to be easier compared to the afternoon.  Certain there are some afternoon questions that I never studied so I had to look at my reference books to understand the topic before I can make informed guesses.  I just wish that I know the result by now.  

The morning session was definitely  easier compared to the afternoon.  When it comes to the code those are the questions not to miss points on. You have to really study it in depth before taking the exam so you can attain as many easy points that you can get. When I saw people carrying the regular NEC book,  and not the current handbook I automatically assumed that they did not due their due diligence and they will fail that topic if not the exam.

Edited by RadioBox

9 minutes ago, RadioBox said:

When I saw people carrying the regular NEC book,  and not the current handbook I automatically assumed that they did not due their due diligence and they will fail that topic if not the exam.

I work with people who can find things faster in the codebook than I can in the handbook. They have 15+ yrs experience on me but still.