NFPA70E version for April 2019

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roy167

Passed PE
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Can someone verify the PE exam on April 5th, 2019 will be using NFPA 70E- 2018? NCEES have mentioned this now on their exam specification page which wasn't there few months ago. I just want to confirm this as the NCEES sample exam I have says NFPA 70E- 2015. There are different values for approach boundaries  between 2015 and 2018 version and there might be many changes. 

Specifications Effective Beginning with the April 2018 Examinations
The codes and standards listed are valid through the October 2020 exam.

C. Codes and Standards 12
1. National Electrical Code (NFPA 70, NEC-2017)
2. National Electrical Safety Code (ANSI C2, NESC-2017)
3. Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace: Shock and
Burns (NFPA 70E-2018)
4. Hazardous area classification (NFPA 497-2017, 499-2017, 30B-2015)

If it's on the webiste as being 2018, then it's 2018.

Any changes within the standard, are highlighted grey so you can easily see what was updated from 2015 to 2018.

Make sure you take everything specified. Remember NCEES likes to throw some nasty curve balls at you.

Hey guys,

Can someone verify the PE exam on April 5th, 2019 will be using NFPA 70E- 2018? NCEES have mentioned this now on their exam specification page which wasn't there few months ago. I just want to confirm this as the NCEES sample exam I have says NFPA 70E- 2015. There are different values for approach boundaries  between 2015 and 2018 version and there might be many changes. 

Specifications Effective Beginning with the April 2018 Examinations
The codes and standards listed are valid through the October 2020 exam.

C. Codes and Standards 12
1. National Electrical Code (NFPA 70, NEC-2017)
2. National Electrical Safety Code (ANSI C2, NESC-2017)
3. Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace: Shock and
Burns (NFPA 70E-2018)
4. Hazardous area classification (NFPA 497-2017, 499-2017, 30B-2015)
That's interesting. Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't know they could change the versions this close to the exam, anyways I will print out the 2018 version for the exam

That's interesting. Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't know they could change the versions this close to the exam, anyways I will print out the 2018 version for the exam
From the NCEES website:

Exam specifications

For details on the format and length of the exam and the topics covered, select your engineering discipline below to download the exam specifications. PE exam specifications are posted 6 months before the exam administration. Updates for the April exams are posted in November, and updates for the October exams are posted in May.

Also, the PDF provided is date for April 2018 and states that the 2018 70E will be used. 

Last time I sent an email about a few months ago, they didn't have this specified. I asked NCEES, how is one supposed to know what version will be used. I said like they have mentioned what year code book they will be using. It will be helpful to know what all proper standards will be used.  I have seen this for at least 2 months now. So this is not something they revised it recently. Perhaps , you didn't check the specifications lately and why would anyone keep checking the specifications.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I sent an email about a few months ago, they didn't have this specified. I asked NCEES, how is one supposed to know what version will be used. I said like they have mentioned what year code book they will be using. It will be helpful to know what all proper standards will be used.  I have seen this for at least 2 months now. So this is not something they revised it recently. Perhaps , you didn't check the specifications lately and why would anyone keep checking the specifications.   
Yeah I actually printed out back in December I believe and used 2015 version of NFPA 70E which my coworker used for the April 2018 exam. Thanks again for posting it here or else I would have taken the 2015 version

You are correct. Was working through sample exam and found that the approach boundaries were different. Circled my answer confidently. I saw their correct answer and was like huh? I pulled the 2015 copy out of the recycle, and sure enough, it had changed.

Back