Practice Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbjorklund

Pitter Patter
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what you consider acceptable on a practice exam in a simulated test environment.  At what point do you, personally, say "Ok I can accept that score, I think I'm ready" 

Yeah, The NCEES practice exam
One practice exam is not enough to give you a good sense of whether you're ready to take on this beast of an exam. By now you should've taken as many as possible, for your discipline (which is mine as well: Mechanical), there are 4 other exams I recommend you practice with:

• NCEES practice exams: There are 2 out there, 2016 is the most recent but there is a 2010 version which has about 13 problems that are still relevant to our discipline. I suggest you search for it on line (all other problems are the same as in the 2016 version).
  • EngProGuides Practice Exam: Runs about $35 and you can get it from their website http://www.engproguides.com/. Justin Kauwale the owner, is very responsive and will answer all your questions promptly via email.
  • Scott Hart and Kevin Klein practice exam: Amazon purchase, this exam is harder than NCEES but some of the problems are definitely in line with what you can expect to see on the exam (about 60%).
  • 6-Min Solutions for MDM: There's a total of 80 questions here with complete answers and you can also find this book on line if you haven't already.
Problem recognition is ESSENTIAL for the PE exam, and that only comes with practice. The more problems you do the faster you'll be able to identify what's being asked of you.

Good luck to you next week !

Yeah, The NCEES practice exam
I took the NCEES 2016 Mechanical TFS exam last weekend in a simulated format and got 80%.  My problem is time not knowledge.  90% of the answers I got wrong were a pure guess because I ran out of time.  The answers I did get wrong without guessing were simple unit mistakes.  I will be taking the @Slay the P.E. exam in a simulated format this weekend.  What mechanical test are you taking? 

Last edited by a moderator:
One practice exam is not enough to give you a good sense of whether you're ready to take on this beast of an exam. By now you should've taken as many as possible, for your discipline (which is mine as well: Mechanical), there are 4 other exams I recommend you practice with:

• NCEES practice exams: There are 2 out there, 2016 is the most recent but there is a 2010 version which has about 13 problems that are still relevant to our discipline. I suggest you search for it on line (all other problems are the same as in the 2016 version).
  • EngProGuides Practice Exam: Runs about $35 and you can get it from their website http://www.engproguides.com/. Justin Kauwale the owner, is very responsive and will answer all your questions promptly via email.
  • Scott Hart and Kevin Klein practice exam: Amazon purchase, this exam is harder than NCEES but some of the problems are definitely in line with what you can expect to see on the exam (about 60%).
  • 6-Min Solutions for MDM: There's a total of 80 questions here with complete answers and you can also find this book on line if you haven't already.
Problem recognition is ESSENTIAL for the PE exam, and that only comes with practice. The more problems you do the faster you'll be able to identify what's being asked of you.

Good luck to you next week !
Of Course! I have completed many of those practice problems, but only did the NCEES under testing conditions.  I completely agree that problem recognition is essential.  This will be my 2nd time taking it, so I also have the previous diagnostics.

I took the NCEES 2016 exam last weekend in a simulated format and got 80%.  My problem is time not knowledge.  90% of the answers I got wrong were a pure guess because I ran out of time.  The answers I did get wrong without guessing were simple unit mistakes.  I will be taking the @Slay the P.E. exam in a simulated format this weekend.  What mechanical test are you taking? 
I will be taking the MDM test.

LyceeFruit said:
I reported a few of his posts. Literally made 55 posts in 20 minutes, all the same, and on topics that didn't even relate to the materials he was attempting to sell. 
I reported like 5 LOL

Same here too...literally counting down the hours, while hopping between the April 2019 spam, any relevant threads, and the work I'm "supposed" to be doing lol
It's also grey & 45F here so that isn't really helping me lol

Back