If/Countif nested question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supe

Reaction score
Fighting with Excel (which I use VERY rarely).  I want to have a cell return a "yes" value when a countif function returns a value >4, without having to have a separate "helper" column.

i.e. - I want cell E4 to give me a "Yes" when the number of cells in H4:R4 containing any value >0 is greater than 4.

Actual application to help visualize - E4 is my "championship eligible" column.  H4:R4 is the number of points a driver receives if they drive in an event, which will always be at least 1 point if they show up.  They have to drive at least 5 events to be eligible for a championship, regardless of points received.

Any help would be much appreciated - for some reason, whenever I try nesting the countif into the if statement, it's giving me a "yes" as long as there was any value >0 in any column, effectively ignoring the count function.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I thought I had tried that, but I must have either added an extra set of quotes in there or it was thrown off by omitting a false result.  This version worked.

I do have one more if y'all are feeling frisky:

Any way to make the LARGE function count a blank space as a zero?  

=SUM(LARGE(J4:T4,{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9})) works to tally up the top 9 values in the range, but I get a #num! error if any of the cell values are blank.  For ease of data entry/visual format, I'd like to be able to leave those cells blank in lieu of entering 0's.

=SUM(LARGE(J4:T4,{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9})) works to tally up the top 9 values in the range, but I get a #num! error if any of the cell values are blank.  For ease of data entry/visual format, I'd like to be able to leave those cells blank in lieu of entering 0's.
2 questions:

1.  Are you sure the cell is blank/null and doesn't have a space hiding in it?

2.  Do you actually have nine numbers in the range for it to add?  (If you ask for the 9th largest number and there are only 8 numbers in the range, you will get '#NUM!')

2 questions:

1.  Are you sure the cell is blank/null and doesn't have a space hiding in it?

2.  Do you actually have nine numbers in the range for it to add?  (If you ask for the 9th largest number and there are only 8 numbers in the range, you will get '#NUM!')
1. Yes

2. No, which is why I'd like it to treat a blank as a zero, without actually having the zero.  I recognize that it will get the error without anything in the cell, that's what I'm trying to find a workaround for.  I'd also like to do it without having to assign the row as a list, because the rows get shuffled/updated frequently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok.  The error you are getting is being caused by asking for the 9th largest number in a list of 8 numbers or less.  I don't know of an elegant way to get-r-done using only formulas.

Ok.  The error you are getting is being caused by asking for the 9th largest number in a list of 8 numbers or less.  I don't know of an elegant way to get-r-done using only formulas.
Thanks, that's what I had feared.  I will likely just use a conditional format for cells that equal 0 to make them stand out less visually.

Just have to add in the conditional. Try using the SUMIF and ISBLANK functions.

I don't think that will work with the LARGE function, since that's looking to return a specified number of values (even if those values are zero).  Since ISBLANK just returns a true/false, I can't visualize how you could set a conditional statement to return a lesser number of values than what is specified in the LARGE array.

I don't think that will work with the LARGE function, since that's looking to return a specified number of values (even if those values are zero).  Since ISBLANK just returns a true/false, I can't visualize how you could set a conditional statement to return a lesser number of values than what is specified in the LARGE array.
Good point. I wrestled trying to get it to work for a while and could not. Might be doable with a series of "OR"  in the conditional?  Dunno.

The problem is that you have to have two "if/Then" arguments running in parallel.  Pretty easy to do in programming space, not so much in a formula.

How about =IF(COUNT(J4:T4)>8,SUM(LARGE(J4:T4,{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9})),SUM(J4:T4)). If the count is less than 9, you just need to sum everything.
maxresdefault.jpg

Back