Once more unto the breach, dear friends.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadioBox

Reaction score
This is it. Final stretch. At this point study protection and NEC only. If you do extremely poor in either topic you are done. 

If this exam cycle is anything similar to last October exam than newcomers will be in for a huge nasty surprise. 

In any case, good luck to everyone old and new.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point study protection and NEC only.
Do you have any good protection resources? Maybe youtube channels that cover protection topics? That is definitely a weak area for me. Any problems that I've found in practice exams are no where near the level of difficulty that gets thrown at you in the exam.

Do you have any good protection resources? Maybe youtube channels that cover protection topics? That is definitely a weak area for me. Any problems that I've found in practice exams are no where near the level of difficulty that gets thrown at you in the exam.
 I wish I did. The only stuff I have is the same as everyone else here. The only thing I did differently was read black burn cover to cover.

The new specifications made by ncees last year really put a monkey wrench in passing the exam. The only people who will do decent on this topic on the real exam are the engineers who actually deal with protection on a daily basis on their jobs. Everyone else is out of luck. In 2 years the power pe exam  will change again, and be computer based. Hopefully this change will make things easier.

try this book chapter 10. its free to download. Let me know if that helps, because I only prepared myself for protection from this book.

Power System Analysis and Design 6th Edition By J Duncan Glover and Thomas Overbye and Mulukutla S Sarma

try this book chapter 10. its free to download. Let me know if that helps, because I only prepared myself for protection from this book.

Power System Analysis and Design 6th Edition By J Duncan Glover and Thomas Overbye and Mulukutla S Sarma
I used this book during school & its easy to read as well. But did that chapter alone help ? I will give it a read this weekend again

I used this book during school & its easy to read as well. But did that chapter alone help ? I will give it a read this weekend again
In general it is better to understand than Blackburn. Also I understood differential protection and distance relay better from this book.

Awesome! Thanks! I will definitely print that out, read it and add it to my binder.

This is it. Final stretch. At this point study protection and NEC only. If you do extremely poor in either topic you are done. 

If this exam cycle is anything similar to last October exam than newcomers will be in for a huge nasty surprise. 

In any case, good luck to everyone old and new.
Radiobox I have full confidence you will pass this time. As a tip with protection remember your basics with three phase power.

Back