How Old are you?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iahi_2005

Reaction score
I am taking my PE exam for the first time; I am 38 years old. I was just curious how old you guys are and is this your first/second/third.......attempt? Let's get a light topic going, I need a break from studying :)

I took the FE and passed the first time when I was 23.

I took the PE Exam and passed the first time when I was 50 (I was not the oldest person taking the exam at my exam location).

My $0.02 - Take the exam as soon as you can, keep taking it until you pass, and you are never too old to take the exam.

Similar to @ruggercsc I took the FE (called the EIT back then) when I was 23.  I was 44 when I took the PE and passed the first time.  Git ‘er done.

I started studying December 2017.

FE exam attempt 1 (February 2018-fail)

FE exam attempt 2 (April 2018-pass)

PE exam attempt 1 (October 2018-fail)

PE exam attempt 2 (April 2019-????)

I’m 33 and almost 11 years out of college. It’s been a rough year and a half of almost non stop studying with the exception of waiting for results.  I hope it’s over in 2 weeks.  I’m a power engineer by the way.

I started studying December 2017.

FE exam attempt 1 (February 2018-fail)

FE exam attempt 2 (April 2018-pass)

PE exam attempt 1 (October 2018-fail)

PE exam attempt 2 (April 2019-????)

I’m 33 and almost 11 years out of college. It’s been a rough year and a half of almost non stop studying with the exception of waiting for results.  I hope it’s over in 2 weeks.  I’m a power engineer by the way.
Wow, thats literally 1.5 years of studying. Hope your pattern continues & you pass !

I am 33

Graduate 2007

Passed FE 1st try Jan 2018

Failed PE 1st try Apr 2018

Passed PE 2nd try Oct 2018

Passed FE in April 2010 as a junior in college & when it was still paper (VT allows (allowed?) you to sit for the exam with 5 semesters of college under your belt).

Been on/off the PE journey since Oct 2015. Have not sat for every exam in this time frame. 

Graduated with Master's degree in 2015, cleared FE in 2016

First PE attempt this April

I'm 50. My undergraduate degree was from overseas, applied for FE process some 20 yrs ago, my University did not send the transcripts in time, back then without e-mails etc it was hard to communicate. Got frustrated and abandoned the application process. 20 yrs later, with a new job, decided to give it a shot in May 2018. Application was approved for FE and PE in Aug 2018, Passed FE in 1st attempt in Oct 2018.

Going in for PE for the 1st time in 2 weeks!! 

I have been out of college for over 25 years, for some reason I am not finding hard to get back into swing of things. In fact , I have learnt what I did not learn in 4 year of college by going through this process.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 32

Passed FE 1st try Jan 2018 ( from JPN)

Failed PE 1st try Oct 2018

PE 2nd try target on Oct 2019

You can if you want to. I have to say Power PE is whole different ball game compare to Mechanical. But I have learned a lot, hopefully I will pass. Good luck to ya'll.

Masters in Mechanical Engineering

FE Mechanical Feb 2016

PE Mechanical TFS April 2018

Taking Civil WRE Oct 2019 (was planning on sitting for Power, but now I work for the government and changed discipline)

How’s everyone doing. Couldn’t sleep properly last night. Dreamt all along how to size a OCPD!
I started taking valerian root tablets and changing my schedule to wake up early like the Exam day. I dont know if I will fall asleep tomorrow night though.

I started taking valerian root tablets and changing my schedule to wake up early like the Exam day. I dont know if I will fall asleep tomorrow night though.
Hopefully you’ll get proper sleep. I’m aiming to take little sleep tonight. Not study tomorrow at all, just take it easy travel to the exam site. Hopefully by tomorrow night I won’t have any problem to fall asleep. 

Took the FE when I was 31. Passed first time

Took the PE when I was 34. Passed first time.

Back