Watch or Clock?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seamoonjulian

Reaction score
Can I bring a small clock to the test room instead of a wrist watch?

BTW, whether the clocks or the watches must be analog ones not digital ones?

Many thanks

Per NCEES Candidate Agreement, small clocks are allowed. It doesn’t say anything about whether it can or can’t be digital; just keep in mind that if they are suspicious about your device, they may confiscate it.

I brought a Casio F91W watch with me, which is digital. I used it because others (on this forum and elsewhere) used it and it didn’t draw suspicion from proctors.

I would say it depends on the State where you take the exam. You should have received an e-mail by now with general instructions and what is/is not allowed to be used on the exam.

My coworker said they were not allowed to bring digital clocks or smart watches to the exam but there were already available large clocks easily visible in the test room. He took the test in Baltimore/ Maryland. However, Where I took the test in VA we were ok to bring watches and clocks but there were no available clocks in the test room. I brought a $10 wrist watch from JCPenney and a small  clock from Walmart. I tried to avoid fancy and loud stuff just in case. 

Last edited by a moderator:
While both are allowed, when I took the exam (10+ years ago) anything not worn or currently in use had to be off of the table. That included closed reference books, clocks, food/drinks, etc.

I use this macgyver esque watch and just make sure the alarm function is turned off. At my testing location some rooms have clocks and some don't, but one of the rooms is so large that I couldn't see it well. They never said anything to us about digital watches. People who used clocks had to put them on the floor.

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-A168WA-1-Electro-Luminescence-Watch/dp/B000LAKYW8/ref=pd_bxgy_23_img_2/134-2947189-3235251?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000LAKYW8&pd_rd_r=733cbae8-4f18-11e9-b3ab-53438fdae7be&pd_rd_w=GapAK&pd_rd_wg=7UP7j&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=K373GSXGJRKX98QM5R3E&psc=1&refRID=K373GSXGJRKX98QM5R3E

I bought a light up Batman watch from the childs section at Target. It was 8$. QAll the adult watches were 20$+.

I wear a smart watch daily but not allowed in the exam room. And the proctor stated "Well it isn't a smart watch and it's silent so its whatever that it lights up" (paraphrasing) 

I’d go with clock

flavor-flav-jail-child-support_ftpwit.jpeg

Back