College admission scandal

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exengineer

Reaction score
So far Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman have been charged among others for paying bribes and getting their kids' entrance scores "fixed" so they can get into USC.  Are these people for real?  Are they not aware that simply getting admitted into a university like Southern California is no guarantee of success?  Did they arrange to have stand-ins go to class and take exams for their kids?  The value of a university education has been plummeting for decades as more people obtain degrees and crowd the job market.  Simply pouring more degrees into the job market does not create more jobs or opportunities, but it might create more frustrated job seekers who will never use their education as intended.  Meanwhile high paying skilled trades go begging to hire foreigners because parents have been brainwashed into thinking "university is the only path to success" for their kid.  Whose fault is that?  Knowing what I know now about the university system I would not set foot in a university classroom if I was a newly graduated high school senior.  Many of the degree programs out there now are a pig-in-a-poke.  Most are useless.  If you don't get a graduate degree you have just spent four years getting another high school equivalent degree.

It's hilarious that this is even a scandal.  Billionaires and politicians have been pulling strings to getting their dumbass kids into Ivy League schools for decades.

F all those hypocrites.  It's just like the athletic departments recruiting students with payouts to the families or cars (yes, I have seen that first hand many times).  But, then again, I have no means of even having the option to bribe my kids' ways into schools / programs / camps so of course I'm against this stuff. :dunno:  

True about those graduate degrees, I have lots of people with graduate degrees that work for me ;)

But College just gives you the opportunity, it doesn't define success. But many people, even in engineering fields, believe that getting their degree was the 'achievement" in their career.. Its like STFU and get back to work already!

These people are too dumb for words.  If they have that much money to throw around for this purpose, better to give their kid a loan to start up a business of their own.   There are better ways to get football tickets at student rates than doing jackass stuff like this.

BOSTON — A married couple and a California businessman are the latest parents to plead guilty in the sweeping college admissions scam.

Gregory and Marcia Abbott and Peter Jan Sartorio entered their pleas Wednesday in Boston federal court. They are among 14 parents who have agreed to admit to allegations in the case.

The Abbotts, who have homes in New York City and Aspen, Colorado, were charged with paying $125,000 to have someone cheat on their daughter's entrance exams. Gregory Abbot is the founder of a food and beverage packaging company.

Sartorio was charged with paying $15,000 to have someone correct his daughter's answers on the ACT. The Menlo Park, California, man founded an organic frozen food company.

Nineteen other parents are fighting the charges. They include actress Lori Loughlin (LAWK'-lin) and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli.

Yeah this has to be the dumbest scandel, but the elite don’t think that test scores and grades should matter to anyone.

Ofcourse now they are saying the SAT is going to take your background into effect for scoring. I can’t wait for NCEES to add a few points to people’s exams for being born without a stainless steel spoon in their mouth!

Back