Env Sp

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vee043324

White Claw Pusher
Reaction score
Apologies if there is already a thread on this topic (although I couldn't find it) - does anyone know much about the env sp credential? trying to figure out if it's just kinda bullshit or actually valuable. more and more of my linkedin colleagues are adding it to the end of their profile names so i'm interested.

PE is definitely priority right now but perhaps env sp would be helpful later too? 

Its similar to LEED but for civil engineering infrastructure projects but public projects aren't really going to spend the money on a credential plaque let alone following stricter requirements than what the local regulations require. Got it when I was a college student...have never used the actual project credentialing professionally...the organization that administers it just began requiring renewal fees and training. I'm glad I got it because my overall background is in more sustainable forms of civil engineering but if I didn't have it and my company wasn't paying me to get it, I wouldn't get it unfortunately.

Think of LEED for vertical construction (buildings) and ENV SP as horizontal construction (pipelines, sewers, roads, etc). There is some overlap, especially in the water industry. But I've never seen it as a requirement on a project. Well I did once, but water utilities have very little money. The one time I did see it as a requirement, it was removed as a cost savings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back