Exam day

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Messi

Reaction score
I wanted to know few things regarding the exam day.

- How long is the break between morning & afternoon session ?

- Are we allowed to take 2 Calculators in the exam hall ? 

1.  Roughly an hour.

2.  Yes.  I think I took 3? Which is excessive but idk, it seemed like a good idea at the time :)  

You should be aware exam day is a very brutal experience,

1.) You have to stand outside of the room while your checked in carrying all your books. Lets hope your not one of those people that brinks several boxes worth of books.

2.) Its an absolute mental game while your wait for the exam to start. Lets hope theres not my little pony convention next door or comic con.

3.) Lunch break is not long enough. At this time you will probably sit in your car and question your sanity of why you want to take this exam.

4.) PM session you will want to cry and hope for some mercy from the exam proctors.

5.) You really should read the NCEES examine handbook they do explain the calculator policy.

Do you recommend ear plugs or head phones? What is more comfortable where you don't even know that you have something in your ear/on ear feels natural but not hear any external disturbance. Please suggest  

Do you recommend ear plugs or head phones? What is more comfortable where you don't even know that you have something in your ear/on ear feels natural but not hear any external disturbance. Please suggest  
I highly doubt you can take in head phones.  I used ear plugs and was fine.

If you're taking a paper test, you can bring earplugs. If you're taking a CBT test, either is allowed per the NCEES Examinee Guide.

I personally don't bother with earplugs. 

https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/ExamineeGuide_November-26_2018_opt.pdf

I highly doubt you can take in head phones.  I used ear plugs and was fine.
If you take the CBT exams, you are allowed noise cancelling headphones. It's listed in the NCEES Examinee Guide

If you're taking a paper test, you can bring earplugs. If you're taking a CBT test, either is allowed per the NCEES Examinee Guide.

I personally don't bother with earplugs. 

https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/ExamineeGuide_November-26_2018_opt.pdf

If you take the CBT exams, you are allowed noise cancelling headphones. It's listed in the NCEES Examinee Guide
Good to know, thanks. I didn't take CBT so was assuming the large general auditorium for the exam.

I got the exam authorization today & it mentions to bring Earplugs as there could be unexpected noise. I plan on taking it, WILL USE IT ONLY IF NEEDED.

Whatever you choose to do you just want to make sure you are able to hear the proctors. They will notify you of the 15min, 5min and 1min mark.

I'm planning on taking my stuff in a clear tote, something like this. Do you see any negatives of that? What are other ideas folks have?   

80f588dd-243a-4a35-bf15-e0b036a6b6df_1.115e2f3e699fc140b5700d5e715ca757.jpeg-a1b1e2b521da832e5da5d8f5840020ab326fc407-optim-450x450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you see any negatives of that?
It doesn't have wheels. Depending on how many references you have it will be heavy to lug around. The testing facility I'm at may require a long walk depending on how early I get there. Here's what I use.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am gonna be using a small carry on suitcase. I am not sure if they allow it to be taken inside or I'll have to take my books out to my desk.

It doesn't have wheels. Depending on how many references you have it will be heavy to lug around. The testing facility I'm at may require a long walk depending on how early I get there. Here's what I use.

View attachment 12714
There was a woman who used one of these one time I took the test, the area we were in had stairs (college lecture hall but half height stairs). She couldn't lift it and her dad assisted her in bringing it to her desk. No idea how she got it out since I was done before she was. 

I am gonna be using a small carry on suitcase. I am not sure if they allow it to be taken inside or I'll have to take my books out to my desk.
I've never seen someone be turned away with a carry-on suitcase.

I use a Staples paper box and a backpack

Back