Failed Surveying. Tips/Recommendations?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orca2552_PE

Reaction score
I took the Surveying Test in February and found out yesterday that I did not pass. If I can remember properly, I walked out of that test feeling I had done enough to pass. (Was 100% confident on 35-37, educated guesses on 7-9 and blind guesses on the rest due to lack of time mostly)

My diagnostic reads:

Marginal, Proficient, Proficient, Deficient

I am looking for any suggestions that anyone might have. I had taken a survey class about 6 years ago in school, so it wasn't too hard to grasp concepts. I studied about 4 weeks, around 25 hours a week. I used Mansour Notes, bought the Reza workbook. Solved all problems in both these books (hard ones twice), and did pretty decently in all the practice tests (including a 43/55 in Reza's full length test in a timed exam setting). Still came out short. I know I am close, but apart from managing time, what else do I need to do? 

Disheartening because I thought I had everything covered. 

Thanks for the help. Cheers!

I took the Surveying Test in February and found out yesterday that I did not pass. If I can remember properly, I walked out of that test feeling I had done enough to pass. (Was 100% confident on 35-37, educated guesses on 7-9 and blind guesses on the rest due to lack of time mostly)

My diagnostic reads:

Marginal, Proficient, Proficient, Deficient

I am looking for any suggestions that anyone might have. I had taken a survey class about 6 years ago in school, so it wasn't too hard to grasp concepts. I studied about 4 weeks, around 25 hours a week. I used Mansour Notes, bought the Reza workbook. Solved all problems in both these books (hard ones twice), and did pretty decently in all the practice tests (including a 43/55 in Reza's full length test in a timed exam setting). Still came out short. I know I am close, but apart from managing time, what else do I need to do? 

Disheartening because I thought I had everything covered. 

Thanks for the help. Cheers!
Thanks for starting this topic. I'm on a similar boat. Felt like I nailed 40 of the 55 and only guessed on about 8 due to time constraints (another 7-8 I was 50/50 on). Walked out feeling very good about it. Enough to pass for sure, but I guess not. I was Marginal, Deficient, Marginal, Proficient.

I've dedicated time, exhausted resources (mainly EET and Reza but others as well), and have felt MORE confident going into this exam than I have for the 8-hour and Seismic exams (both of which I've passed already). I don't understand. We must be very close. I am feeling the pain with you. 

I too would appreciate any tips from this thread. Cheers!

honestly i am in the same boat with seismic but not survey.... you guys need to just do what you did last time again. Probably a little bad luck this time that you did not pass. you guys are so close it can not be more than 2 questions to pass. just res tudy the material

Hm zero Deficient might be required to pass, regardless of the typical 60% threshold 🤔

Edit: this is not true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah you will get it next time just get some more practice tests and that should help. I took EET survey and that help a ton they have 4 practice tests and a bunch of practice problems as well as tons of material so that it covers everything. Survey was the hardest for me because you just didn't know what you were going to get.

After taking EET class i passed and i had 10 mins to spare and i think i just flat out guessed on only 2-3 problems.

Its work but i needed to pass it was my 5th time taking it. 

Back