Biggest Bang for Buck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iahi_2005

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering what your thoughts are on studying, at this late stage in the game ( with less than 2 weeks away) to get the "biggest bang for buck"? I am thinking Focusing on :

1) Protection - 13 questions

2) Code -12 questions

3) Power system analysis -11 questions.

Obviously, there is some overlap among topics 1 and 3. What are your thoughts?

I plan on getting my references tabbed and ready followed by doing couple of times tests on the weekend. As you mentioned I also plan on spending more time on NEC practice as I never used it prior to prepping for this exam. 

I plan on getting my references tabbed and ready followed by doing couple of times tests on the weekend. As you mentioned I also plan on spending more time on NEC practice as I never used it prior to prepping for this exam. 
This may sound silly, but, how exactly are you tabbing references? I worry about the stickys falling off

This may sound silly, but, how exactly are you tabbing references? I worry about the stickys falling off
I am just using Post it tabs to Tab anything that I find relevant. I myself struggle where to draw the line as I don't want to over tab and struggle finding things. 

I use postit tabs and then clear tape it on the top so they don't fall off during the exam. It's been a challenge to do this on a glossy NEC code book paper as it may not come off. But it is fine for books with regular paper and printed material you don't care anyway whether it will come off or not. This is only a problem when you are trying to sell the books back, otherwise clear tape works great. It cements it very well.   

Assuming you have been preparing well all along I'd focus on making sure my note sheets are very thorough and references are tabbed well and appropriately cross referenced.  As best as possible you should be taking your practice exams under test day conditions and times.  It's all about knowing where the info is having a having a sound test taking strategy.

@iahi_2005 It's always best to prioritize your time where you have the best opportunity to earn the most points, and the worst opportunity to get the most questions wrong. I'd start out ranking the topics in order from the most questions to the least, just like you've done, and I'll also list my weakness based on the rough estimate of the percentage I am constantly getting right, and factor in the number of questions in those topics as well. 

Back