Post your puzzles/brain-teasers here

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audi Driver P.E.

Reaction score
The only rule, you must personally know the answer before you post your puzzle. I'll start:

fldTJN0.jpg

E - assuming that the side view shown is the elevation of the right side of the front view.

Reading comprehension is a bitch.  I was trying to figure out which top view was the correct one, but the puzzle description says which top view cannot be correct.  I was about to post something about there not being enough information to solve it because you aren't told which side of the top view is the front and which is the side.  That makes this harder than I'm willing to solve.

Reading comprehension is a bitch.  I was trying to figure out which top view was the correct one, but the puzzle description says which top view cannot be correct.  I was about to post something about there not being enough information to solve it because you aren't told which side of the top view is the front and which is the side.  That makes this harder than I'm willing to solve.
There is enough information and the solution is rather easy, actually.

I guess I need to read better.

index.jpg

Maybe I'm over- or under-thinking it, but I don't even see how the front and side views go together if the blocks are each either completely transparent or solid black.

I mean, wouldn't you see a black block through a transparent block, if the transparent block was in front of the black one?

Ignoring that, I don't see a single choice that even works with the front and side views shown. So I'd say all of the options don't work.

I'm making the assumption that the top, front and side views can be combined to form an isometric cube like this, with the front on the left side, side on the right and top on top:

large-isometric-cube.gif

If the transparent blocks are genuinely clear, you can see through all clear blocks to the first black cube, even if it's 4 deep. In that case, the full cube would be mostly clear blocks with only a dozen or so black blocks scattered throughout. Without rotating the face or side views, only answers A & G satisfy the top two rows of both face & sides. Reverse engineering through the options, Answer A works. 

only answers A & G satisfy the top two rows of both face & sides. Reverse engineering through the options, Answer A works. 
That's the solution that I reached, too, before going back and reading the question.  You are supposed to choose the solution that DOESN'T work, not the one that does.  I think that all but one of the answers works if you rotate your perspective.

I stand by my answer based on the bottom left square in arrangement E - shouldn't it be clear?

Maybe I'm over- or under-thinking it, but I don't even see how the front and side views go together if the blocks are each either completely transparent or solid black.

I mean, wouldn't you see a black block through a transparent block, if the transparent block was in front of the black one?

Ignoring that, I don't see a single choice that even works with the front and side views shown. So I'd say all of the options don't work.
Yes, that is exactly how it works.

I stand by my answer based on the bottom left square in arrangement E - shouldn't it be clear?
Solution E is an incorrect answer. Bottom left square may be black.

Note that I have verified the answer using a SolidWorks model.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm making the assumption that the top, front and side views can be combined to form an isometric cube like this, with the front on the left side, side on the right and top on top:

large-isometric-cube.gif

If the transparent blocks are genuinely clear, you can see through all clear blocks to the first black cube, even if it's 4 deep. In that case, the full cube would be mostly clear blocks with only a dozen or so black blocks scattered throughout. Without rotating the face or side views, only answers A & G satisfy the top two rows of both face & sides. Reverse engineering through the options, Answer A works. 
Answer A does indeed work and is therefore not correct.

Here is the only clue I will give. You can assume this is true. And if you do, you may have to rotate some of the various top views proffered to see if they work.

Gi4z052.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back