Post your puzzles/brain-teasers here - Games - Engineer Boards
Jump to content
Engineer Boards
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
Audi driver, P.E.

Post your puzzles/brain-teasers here

Recommended Posts

The only rule, you must personally know the answer before you post your puzzle. I'll start:

fldTJN0.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Audi driver, P.E. said:

The only rule, you must personally know the answer before you post your puzzle. I'll start:

fldTJN0.jpg

 

 

[D]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, NikR said:

 

[D]

Sorry, incorrect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

E - assuming that the side view shown is the elevation of the right side of the front view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, aog said:

E - assuming that the side view shown is the elevation of the right side of the front view.

It can be assumed that it is. E is incorrect however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 4:25 PM, Audi driver, P.E. said:

Sorry, incorrect.

Do i get a second chance? :)

because if not D, it G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, NikR said:

Do i get a second chance? :)

because if not D, it G

If you're going to guess, you should at least supply rationale.

Edited by Audi driver, P.E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading comprehension is a bitch.  I was trying to figure out which top view was the correct one, but the puzzle description says which top view cannot be correct.  I was about to post something about there not being enough information to solve it because you aren't told which side of the top view is the front and which is the side.  That makes this harder than I'm willing to solve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, wilheldp_PE said:

Reading comprehension is a bitch.  I was trying to figure out which top view was the correct one, but the puzzle description says which top view cannot be correct.  I was about to post something about there not being enough information to solve it because you aren't told which side of the top view is the front and which is the side.  That makes this harder than I'm willing to solve.

There is enough information and the solution is rather easy, actually.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, wilheldp_PE said:

Reading comprehension is a bitch.  I was trying to figure out which top view was the correct one, but the puzzle description says which top view cannot be correct.  I was about to post something about there not being enough information to solve it because you aren't told which side of the top view is the front and which is the side.  That makes this harder than I'm willing to solve.

I guess I need to read better.

index.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I'm over- or under-thinking it, but I don't even see how the front and side views go together if the blocks are each either completely transparent or solid black.

I mean, wouldn't you see a black block through a transparent block, if the transparent block was in front of the black one?

Ignoring that, I don't see a single choice that even works with the front and side views shown. So I'd say all of the options don't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Leggo, I don't see how any of the options work.

 

EDIT:  I have revised my opinion.  See below.

Edited by vhab49_PE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm making the assumption that the top, front and side views can be combined to form an isometric cube like this, with the front on the left side, side on the right and top on top:

large-isometric-cube.gif

If the transparent blocks are genuinely clear, you can see through all clear blocks to the first black cube, even if it's 4 deep. In that case, the full cube would be mostly clear blocks with only a dozen or so black blocks scattered throughout. Without rotating the face or side views, only answers A & G satisfy the top two rows of both face & sides. Reverse engineering through the options, Answer A works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dexman PE PMP said:

only answers A & G satisfy the top two rows of both face & sides. Reverse engineering through the options, Answer A works. 

That's the solution that I reached, too, before going back and reading the question.  You are supposed to choose the solution that DOESN'T work, not the one that does.  I think that all but one of the answers works if you rotate your perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stand by my answer based on the bottom left square in arrangement E - shouldn't it be clear?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 2:26 PM, leggo PE said:

Maybe I'm over- or under-thinking it, but I don't even see how the front and side views go together if the blocks are each either completely transparent or solid black.

I mean, wouldn't you see a black block through a transparent block, if the transparent block was in front of the black one?

Ignoring that, I don't see a single choice that even works with the front and side views shown. So I'd say all of the options don't work.

Yes, that is exactly how it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 9:03 AM, aog said:

I stand by my answer based on the bottom left square in arrangement E - shouldn't it be clear?

Solution E is an incorrect answer. Bottom left square may be black.
 

Note that I have verified the answer using a SolidWorks model.

Edited by Audi driver, P.E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 6:00 PM, Dexman PE PMP said:

I'm making the assumption that the top, front and side views can be combined to form an isometric cube like this, with the front on the left side, side on the right and top on top:

large-isometric-cube.gif

If the transparent blocks are genuinely clear, you can see through all clear blocks to the first black cube, even if it's 4 deep. In that case, the full cube would be mostly clear blocks with only a dozen or so black blocks scattered throughout. Without rotating the face or side views, only answers A & G satisfy the top two rows of both face & sides. Reverse engineering through the options, Answer A works. 

Answer A does indeed work and is therefore not correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the only clue I will give. You can assume this is true. And if you do, you may have to rotate some of the various top views proffered to see if they work.

Gi4z052.png

Edited by Audi driver, P.E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Audi driver, P.E. said:

Yes, that is exactly how it works.

Woohoo @vhab49_PE, you see that?? K, back to the drawing board.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 3:13 PM, aog said:

I think there's more than one answer

Only one answer does not work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, vhab49_PE said:

F

Sorry incorrect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...