CA Specific Exam Results Survey

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEEJ

Reaction score
For those of you that kept track during your exams:

1. Seismic or Surveying?

2. How many (out of 55) did you feel confident on?

3. How many (out of 55) did you make educated guesses on?

4. How many (out of 55) did you completely guess on?

5. Did you pass/fail?

1. seismic two attempts:

2. 27 and 30

3. 3 and 8

4. 25 and 17

5. very close to passing both times (3rd attempt soon April)

1. Seismic (2 attempts)

2. 30 / 46

3. 7 / 5

4. 18 / 4

5. Fail / Pass

-------

1. Surveying (2 attempts)

2. 30 / 52

3. 11 / 1

4. 14 / 2

5. Fail / Pass

Edited: See comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Seismic (2 attempts)

2. 30 / 46

3. 7 / 5

4. 18 / 4

5. Fail / Pass

-------

2. 37 / 52

3. 4 / 1

4. 14 / 2

5. Fail / Waiting on results
Oh wow, how close were you in your survey first attempt, if you felt good on 37 of them? Makes me really nervous now. 

Oh wow, how close were you in your survey first attempt, if you felt good on 37 of them? Makes me really nervous now. 
SHARTS! Don't be nervous! 

This was the first time I sat for one of the CBT exams and was not adamant about "marking" questions I was absolutely certain on. I would mark questions that I did not have an answer to, and come back later, leaving some doubtful questions unmarked. After the first Surveying attempt, my approach was to mark any question that I was not very confident in the answer to. This gave me a much more real number.

With that being said, the real "confident" number is probably closer to 30 (if I had to estimate). I think I was off by only one or two questions. Only deficient in one category.

I am going to edit my previous post since I did not think about that until you replied.

Sorry if I introduced and doubt in your mind, definitely not my intention. I seriously underestimated the exam the first time I took it. I owe you a beer.

SHARTS! Don't be nervous! 

This was the first time I sat for one of the CBT exams and was not adamant about "marking" questions I was absolutely certain on. I would mark questions that I did not have an answer to, and come back later, leaving some doubtful questions unmarked. After the first Surveying attempt, my approach was to mark any question that I was not very confident in the answer to. This gave me a much more real number.

With that being said, the real "confident" number is probably closer to 30 (if I had to estimate). I think I was off by only one or two questions. Only deficient in one category.

I am going to edit my previous post since I did not think about that until you replied.

Sorry if I introduced and doubt in your mind, definitely not my intention. I seriously underestimated the exam the first time I took it. I owe you a beer.
Lol, no,no. Don't worry about it.  Either ways, I'm borderline and it'll be fun to see how I did. 

Also, I don't sweat or get anxious over waiting for exam results. So I was kinda not being very serious when I said I'm nervous. 

I will still take that beer though. 

1. Surveying

2. How many (out of 55) did you feel confident on? 30

3. How many (out of 55) did you make educated guesses on? 15

4. How many (out of 55) did you completely guess on? 10

5. Did you pass/fail? Pass

===

1. Seismic

2. How many (out of 55) did you feel confident on? 38

3. How many (out of 55) did you make educated guesses on? 12

4. How many (out of 55) did you completely guess on? 5

5. Did you pass/fail? Pass

1. Seismic (2 attempts)

2. 35 / 35

3. 7 / 7

4. 13 / 13

5. Fail / Pass

*Interesting that I felt EXACTLY the same on my first and second time but I passed on 2nd time. It probably came so close that it was the luck of the 13 guesses.

-------

2. 28 / 49

3. 12 / 3

4. 15 / 3

5. Fail / Pass

1. Surveying

2. How many (out of 55) did you feel confident on? 20

3. How many (out of 55) did you make educated guesses on? 20

4. How many (out of 55) did you completely guess on? 15

5. Did you pass/fail? PASS 

1. Seismic (1st Attempt / 2nd Attempt)

2. How many (out of 55) did you feel confident on? (25 / 35)

3. How many (out of 55) did you make educated guesses on? (15 / 13 )

4. How many (out of 55) did you completely guess on? ( 15 / 7)

5. Did you pass/fail? (FAIL / PASS)

Lesson learned:

SURVEYING - I spent 20-30 hours only on Survey due to my daily work requires dealing with survey. I was able to eliminate 2 impossible answers on educated guess. I didn't even bother studying Traverse and skipped all those questions but i was confident on the rest. 

SEISMIC - Failed the first time even though i felt well-prepared because i got over-confident on the exam. During the exam, i got panic and froze for an hour. I took a break and caught up myself but i was 30 mins or so behind the schedule. That experience was valuable for my 2nd attempt. However, i felt all the Seismic materials started to click together after 2nd time study and felt very confident before the exam. 

1. Seismic

2. 40

3. 10

4. 5

5. Pass

1. Seismic (1st/2nd)

2. 25 / 42

3. 15 / 10

4. 15 / 3

5. Fail / Pass

What I learned from these two attempts: 

The 1st time I took the seismic, I didn't practice on problems or sample exams. It took me quite some time to look up design values from the Tables. I ran out of time to finish all the questions and guessed about half of them. 

The 2nd time, I was very familiar with the Tables and I practiced on problems and sample exams before the test. It saved me a lot of time during the test. 

Overall, practice is the key!!

Good luck!

1. Surveying

2. How many (out of 55) did you feel confident on? 43

3. How many (out of 55) did you make educated guesses on? 7

4. How many (out of 55) did you completely guess on? 5

1. Seismic 

2. How many (out of 55) did you feel confident on? 50

3. How many (out of 55) did you make educated guesses on? 5

4. How many (out of 55) did you completely guess on? 0