SAFT Battery Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgayer

Reaction score
I may be out of my depth here, so I was hoping that someone with an applicable engineering background might be able to help, or at least steer me in the right direction. I’m not sure if this question is better posed in the Civil or Electrical engineering forums as there may be some overlap.

Our offices handle a variety of insurance claims and related litigation matters. A recent claim involved an accident where a battery case built by SAFT fell over. The batteries (also from SAFT) and case were part of a municipal rail project designed to collect and discharge power for a major city’s trains/subways. The case itself was dented and clearly needed to be replaced. However, SAFT  informed us that beyond the case, each and every battery housed in the case would also need to be fully replaced. The case was actually being delivered at the time of the accident, and had never even been online as part of the overall system being installed.  

SAFT provided no in-depth explanation for this decision. As far as we can tell no testing was ever performed. SAFT merely stated as a conclusion that everything needed to be replaced. Questions about the possibility of performing some examination or testing were not welcomed (with strong hints that we just did not understand what we were talking about).  

As a general matter we were told that efforts to test the batteries would require their complete and total disassembly, effectively destroying them even if they were previously functional. To boot, they indicated that there was no salvage value or ability to recycle/reuse any parts. Based on their representations, an entirely new replacement unit was ultimately ordered, but we are trying to understand if this was truly necessary.

I recognize that I am not providing much detail about the battery units themselves (we haven’t received much either). That is why I am reaching out for some guidance. We are faced with a company that is claiming expertise in this area, and basing conclusory statements on that expertise.

As part of our attempts to evaluate the claim, we would be very interested to hear from any engineers especially if they are familiar with SAFT or their in-house practices. Is this normal for them? For the industry? Are there classes of batteries whose properties would match what we are being told? Does none of this make any sense?

I would appreciate any information that I could get. Thank you.

Depending on the cell type. replacement of all cells may very well be warranted.  For many configurations, the cells are sealed and the only way to examine the internals for damage would be through destructive testing.  Do you know the cell type/chemistry (VRLA, Li-ion, etc)?

I believe they are Li-ion. The rack involved was one of 18 Energy Storage System Units (ESSU) being installed for the underlying project.

I'm not all that familiar with large Li-ion designs.  Almost all of my experience is with various forms of stationary lead-acid strings.  However, from what I know of SAFT, they are a reputable company.  The place I would start for an education on the subject is the IEEE Energy Storage and Stationary Battery committee (http://sites.ieee.org/pes-essb/).

I appreciate the information and guidance. I will review what I can from the committee and see where that takes me. Thank you.

Back