Can I apply the Civil PE license from other states without passing CA exams?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yivo

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in California. I passed the 8hr exam and I will take the California Civil exams later this year.
While getting ready for those exams, can I apply the PE license from other states?

If you have an experience, which states would be the easiest for the application process?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in your shoes, but didn't think it's worth it to go thru another application process and meet all the requirements like references/fee etc, just waiting to take seismic/survey soon.

I have no experience as to which state has the simplest application, sorry -_-

From what I heard, Michigan is very easy to apply especially requiring only 1 reference and them not required to be a PE. But I am not sure of what purpose will it serve if you wont be practicing in that state. 

From what I heard, Michigan is very easy to apply especially requiring only 1 reference and them not required to be a PE. But I am not sure of what purpose will it serve if you wont be practicing in that state. 

I'm in your shoes, but didn't think it's worth it to go thru another application process and meet all the requirements like references/fee etc, just waiting to take seismic/survey soon.

I have no experience as to which state has the simplest application, sorry -_-
Thanks for your response.

For one of the project, that I will work, requires a Civil PE and it’s not matter where you get your license. I know it doesn’t sound right but that is the case.

Ok I know Michigan is one of the states that lets you sit for the NCEES PE/SE exam without submitting an application - so it makes sense what NikR said that it should be one of the most straight forward out there paperwork wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your response.

For one of the project, that I will work, requires a Civil PE and it’s not matter where you get your license. I know it doesn’t sound right but that is the case.
Good luck and let us know how it goes. Would be helpful in case anybody else is in the same boat.

Yes it can be done. I know at one person that did it and got licensed in Virginia.

But getting licensed in a random state for the sake of getting licensed is kind of a waste of money and effort. There will be more paperwork and costs downstream too... Why bother doing it in a jurisdiction that: you don't live in; practice in; or plan to live or practice in the near future?

If you are taking the PE in some random state just for the purposes of taking it, then consider the state that has the best reciprocity.  I think CA is one of the states that has good chance of reciprocity in other states (i.e., without having to retake the PE in that other state or any additional exams).

Yes it can be done. I know at one person that did it and got licensed in Virginia.

But getting licensed in a random state for the sake of getting licensed is kind of a waste of money and effort. There will be more paperwork and costs downstream too... Why bother doing it in a jurisdiction that: you don't live in; practice in; or plan to live or practice in the near future?
Thanks.

I know it doesn’t make sense to do this but one of the project, that I will work, requires a Civil PE and it’s not matter which state you get your license. So just to be able to work in that project I need to get a PE license as quick as possible.

Yivo, you should really look at the requirements of that product. Unless you are licensed in the state that the project takes place your license means nothing and you can not legally sign off on the plans. State laws will always over rule any requirements a client places on a job. 

The reprocity process is also not an instant process. By time you were to get approved, it may be too late for the project in mind. 

Back