This Wait Is Going to Kill Me

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnLee

Reaction score
Short story long, I graduate in May  2014 but didn't earn my degree until Dec (Missing one class, owed the school money). I got my first engineering job on Oct 18 but already passed the PE so now I have to wait until Oct 19 to put those two sweet letters after my name. Has anyone waited so long and how did you cope? Maybe I should be just happy cause my supervisor is Jelly 

Some people take the decoupled exam right out of school and end up having to wait like 3-4 years. Others, like in NY, pass the test and have to wait like six months to get licensed just because the state sucks and is so **** slow.  @NY-Computer-Engineer@JayKay0914 :vadar:

In the grand scheme of things, unless you've got money connected to obtaining the license, having to wait a little longer isn't that big a deal. It just makes it all the more satisfying when it finally happens @Mama said PE is the devil.  And makes a funny story to tell later.

Some people take the decoupled exam right out of school and end up having to wait like 3-4 years. Others, like in NY, pass the test and have to wait like six months to get licensed just because the state sucks and is so **** slow.  @NY-Computer-Engineer@JayKay0914 :vadar:

In the grand scheme of things, unless you've got money connected to obtaining the license, having to wait a little longer isn't that big a deal. It just makes it all the more satisfying when it finally happens @Mama said PE is the devil.  And makes a funny story to tell later.
Thank you, I needed to hear that...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Money?  Connected to me getting my PE?  Shoot, all I do is technical writing and making proposals sound good so we get money.  PE is just a fancy way of letting me stamp documents that I wrote, instead of the other engineer who is busy doing BD.  @JohnLee Don't worry.  It'll happen soon enough.  Job won't fire you for not getting a couple of letters immediately, since you're technically the same person before and after the exam (I mean, unless you failed...then they would have called you a super weenie and kicked you out).

Good advice.  The only thing is, even nearly a year later, its hard to think about that wait and see any humor in it.

Back