Jury Duty

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
So I have jury duty Tuesday -never been. Is it frowned upon to answer all the preliminary questions they ask you with “I know he is guilty!!!!!!!!”

Just drop an "N bomb" here or there, mumble something about "those f'ing pigs", or slip in a few comments about "white trash" and you should be out of there by 10.

Even better if you can do all three, just for the confusion tactics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow I’ve only had to go once.  It was a hot day and the AC broke.  The judge sent everyone home and we all got credit for serving. 

Bring a book and consider it a day off from work.  

I also just received my 6th summons from the state of CT - where I haven't lived in roughly 16 years.  I have told them every single time that I am not a CT resident, but they keep sending them.  You'd think it would strike them as odd, considering they're sending it to a permanent address in North Carolina...

That seems par for the course. Philly sent a summons to my permanent Maryland address every three months. Calling was an exercise in futility. It went on for six years before they figured it out.

Received a jury summons a few years ago. I was dismissed though. I had been on a couple dates with the ADA and went to high school with the lead investigator. It was disappointing because I was actually looking forward to a week or two of paid time off being it was a murder trial. 

I was in jury duty when a defense attorney asked "Are you Innocent until Proven Guilty or Guilty until proven Innnocent"?  Everyone who answered the latter were immediately dismissed.

I got called twice.  Both times I reported in ~8:00AM and by 10:00AM the judge came in and aid that all the cases on the docket that day reached a settlement without going to a bench trial, so he sent us home.  I took the rest of the day off and didn't bother going in to work.

I've been called twice. Served once.  It was a prostitution case complete with video.  It was not fun or entertaining. 

I’ve only been summoned once, and was dismissed. I can’t imagine why...I mean, who wouldn’t want an engineer on their jury? We would do the best job of making sure there was 100% certainty of guilt/innocence.

Id really like to be in the jury room and slam my fist down on the table and say that I know beyond a doubt that it was Col Mustard, in the Library, WITH the CANDLESTICK!!!!!!   BOOM....

Then just sit down and wait to be excused...

I was summoned.  Sat in the room.  Guy who was going to trial I guess was sitting there with his lawyer (idk), and saw how pissed off we were waiting, and settled out of court.  Judge actually scolded him in front of everyone for wasting our time for such a minor issue.

Back