PU & X/R ratio relationship

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cut sheets are taken form old thread (link at the end)

Question)Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 5.59.42 PM.png

Ans: (only initial description, no calculation)Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 5.52.56 PM.png

Any idea how PU impedance of generator is 0.1 pu? I couldn't understand how identical X/R ratios leads to ratio of powers that provides PU impedance of GEN.

Please go through the link for the solution provided by Fpar.

Source; http://engineerboards.com/topic/29389-pu-and-xr-ratio/?tab=comments#comment-7451245

I am guessing since the Vbase and actual voltage is the same, they are simply dividing the Sactual/Sbase to get Zpu for generator. If we calculate it in ohms and convert it to pu we would do the same division.

I am guessing since the Vbase and actual voltage is the same, they are simply dividing the Sactual/Sbase to get Zpu for generator. If we calculate it in ohms and convert it to pu we would do the same division.
Lets say Sbase is gen MVA, but what is the logic of getting Zpu of generator by dividing transformer MVA to Sbase. I don't see any logic.

Can you please elaborate more?

Lets say Sbase is gen MVA, but what is the logic of getting Zpu of generator by dividing transformer MVA to Sbase. I don't see any logic.

Can you please elaborate more?
the only logic I see is that the voltage is cancelled when we divide Zactual/Zbase and we end up dividing 2/20 which gives 0.1 pu for Gen. I am not stressing at that statement they wrote, not sure if that is true because even though X/R ratio is same doesn't means that the Z is same for both. May be others can comment who understood that part ?

Back