CIVIL PE practice exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineerme1

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am a new member. I’ll be taking the PE exam coming April( water resources and env depth). I have been reviewing  a lot of materials  last couple weeks and wanted to practice solving problems. I was wondering if anybody can suggest some of the  best practice problems out there ( both for the AM and afternoon. WRE) depth. I have purchased the NCEES practice exam already. 

Thanks everyone 

I recommend including Indranil Goswami-Civil Engineering PE Practice Exams to your list. Solve all the 40 depth practice exam questions.

Thanks for your response! I see a couple of them on amazon. Is it the “ Breadth plus water resources depth”  you’re referring to or the “All -In- one PE exam guide”? 

Thanks again for the help. 

Anybody here used David Gruttadauria ‘breadth and water resources depth practice exam’ book  ( 2018 publication date )?  I am trying to buy this book but there is a very limited review on Amazon. 

I bought indranil Goswami practice exam ( water resources depth ) and it is  terrible. Questions aren’t bad but the errors are frustrating. No reference is cited in the solutions, Question states a confined aquifer and he does the solution for unconfined, and for some solutions assumed values of certain variables make no sense. The book spells clarified as Qualifier and so on. 

I would appreciate if anybody who used David Gruttadauria ‘Breadth and water resources & Env depth practice exam’ book  give me some feed back before I buy it. 

I agree with you that Goswami books can be frustrating and it does have some errors but I benefited from the ideas presented on the questions. What reference materials are you currently using to solve problems ?

Last edited by a moderator:
My main reference is CERM 16th  edition but I also got metcalf and eddy as reference for the environmental part. 

With the difficulty level of October 2018 Exam, I seriously doubt I would have made it by relying on CERM

With the difficulty level of October 2018 Exam, I seriously doubt I would have made it by relying on CERM
I heard other people saying the same about difficulty. I was also looking to buy older version of the NCEES exam book but couldn’t find any. 

I heard other people saying the same about difficulty. I was also looking to buy older version of the NCEES exam book but couldn’t find any. 
If by "NCEES exam book" you mean their practice tests, then don't bother with the older ones. I had the NCEES 2014 test version and they haven't changed anything since. So you're good with what you have. 

Answering your previous question about what books to use, I can't speak much of your PM because I was structural. As far as the AM portion is concerned, the NCEES tests you have are the closest to the real thing. Goswami problems are slightly harder and lengthier, and he receives critique for poor quality here and there, but contains some good concepts that I couldn't find in the CERM. David Guattadaria's book is good, but I'd say majority of his problems are much easier than the real test. Use this as a confidence booster just before your test (if you need it), but you can definitely do without it. 

If by "NCEES exam book" you mean their practice tests, then don't bother with the older ones. I had the NCEES 2014 test version and they haven't changed anything since. So you're good with what you have. 

Answering your previous question about what books to use, I can't speak much of your PM because I was structural. As far as the AM portion is concerned, the NCEES tests you have are the closest to the real thing. Goswami problems are slightly harder and lengthier, and he receives critique for poor quality here and there, but contains some good concepts that I couldn't find in the CERM. David Guattadaria's book is good, but I'd say majority of his problems are much easier than the real test. Use this as a confidence booster just before your test (if you need it), but you can definitely do without it. 
Thanks a lot!

I bought the "Civil PE Exam Breadth and Structural Depth Practice Exams" Version 2.0 by David Gruttadauria. As I remember it was a little easier than the actual exam. However, it's reasonably priced and is worth it for extra practice.

For Goswami, I will agree improvement is needed, but the concepts behind on most of his problems are very valuable.

For NCEES practice exam, make sure to get the errata, at least for Structural there was a lot of them.

Thanks for your response! I got the errata for NCEES practice exam. I solved the problems on the NCEES practice exam and goswami and I think I am good with that level of difficulty for the depth portion. Now I am looking to get more practice  for the  am section . I guess I’ll buy the other giswami book ( two breadth exams). 

Anybody here used David Gruttadauria ‘breadth and water resources depth practice exam’ book  ( 2018 publication date )?  I am trying to buy this book but there is a very limited review on Amazon. 

I bought indranil Goswami practice exam ( water resources depth ) and it is  terrible. Questions aren’t bad but the errors are frustrating. No reference is cited in the solutions, Question states a confined aquifer and he does the solution for unconfined, and for some solutions assumed values of certain variables make no sense. The book spells clarified as Qualifier and so on. 

I would appreciate if anybody who used David Gruttadauria ‘Breadth and water resources & Env depth practice exam’ book  give me some feed back before I buy it. 
I bought the Gruttadauria WR book.  The problems are very good, but there are a few mistakes to watch out for in the solutions (unit conversions mainly).  Either way, it's a great problem database.

I also bought these all of the PE prepared exams (https://www.amazon.com/Civil-PE-Practice-Exam-Breadth/dp/1534889345/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1550587531&sr=8-2&keywords=civil+pe+practice+exam) and Civil Engineer PE Practice Exams (https://www.amazon.com/Civil-Engineering-PE-Practice-Exams/dp/1983913685/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550587531&sr=8-1&keywords=civil+pe+practice+exam).

The PE prepared exams are a little on the easy side, but still good.  The Civil Engineering PE Practice Exam (linked above) is awesome - the difficulty is spot on.

I bought the Gruttadauria WR book.  The problems are very good, but there are a few mistakes to watch out for in the solutions (unit conversions mainly).  Either way, it's a great problem database.

I also bought these all of the PE prepared exams (https://www.amazon.com/Civil-PE-Practice-Exam-Breadth/dp/1534889345/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1550587531&sr=8-2&keywords=civil+pe+practice+exam) and Civil Engineer PE Practice Exams (https://www.amazon.com/Civil-Engineering-PE-Practice-Exams/dp/1983913685/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550587531&sr=8-1&keywords=civil+pe+practice+exam).

The PE prepared exams are a little on the easy side, but still good.  The Civil Engineering PE Practice Exam (linked above) is awesome - the difficulty is spot on.
Thank you ! I bought the Gruttadauria WR book too and it looks like problems are a little bit easier than the NCEES practice problems. I also found the old NCEES practice exam (2008) and a bunch of the problems are repeated in the new practice exam can book  but still a great material. I’ll consider buying  the PE prepared exam if I get enough time.

Thanks everybody. This forum is really helpful! 

Hey everyone 

I have been studying for about a month now and taken a couple practice tests. I’m doing very well in the practice tests. However I am wondering how similar, interns of level of difficulty and materials covered,  are the practice  tests  and the actual exam.

This is especially a question for October 2018 examinees. I read somewhere that the actual October 2018 WRE exam was no where close in difficulty to the practice tests. I don’t want to feel over confident just because I am doing well on practice tests. Neither am I interested in covering materials that are not relevant to the test.

Tha ks everyone for your responses. This forum is helping me a lot in my preparation.  

Hey everyone 

I have been studying for about a month now and taken a couple practice tests. I’m doing very well in the practice tests. However I am wondering how similar, interns of level of difficulty and materials covered,  are the practice  tests  and the actual exam.

This is especially a question for October 2018 examinees. I read somewhere that the actual October 2018 WRE exam was no where close in difficulty to the practice tests. I don’t want to feel over confident just because I am doing well on practice tests. Neither am I interested in covering materials that are not relevant to the test.

Tha ks everyone for your responses. This forum is helping me a lot in my preparation.  
Hey,

How did your exam go?

Any recommendations? I will be taking the WRE depth and am wondering about your opinion on the practice exams compared to the actual exam, and specifically the Gruttadauria practice exams.

Thanks!

Back