HVAC Reference Material version

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelw9

Reaction score
I am going to be taking the April 2019 HVAC/Refrigeration exam and have been reviewing this forums recommendations for study material. I have an older copy of MERM (11th edition I believe), and access to a full set of ASHRAE handbooks...but the ASHRAE handbooks are 1998-2001. Can anyone advise if it's necessary to shell out for the newest versions of the books, or if these may be sufficient? I may be able to print a chapter here and there from digital copies of the newer books, but I'd want to keep that at a minimum. 

I took the exam last April and started out with the 1998-2001 set before I found a co-worker to loan me the newer set. I would say it is better to have the newer set but it's hard to say if it would be the deciding factor between pass and fail. If you can rent or borrow them, get them! Shelling out the money to pay full price makes it a tougher decision.

I would say you're fine with the MERM, I used the 12th edition. Do yourself a favor though and get the eng pro guides technical study guide. Aside from the ASHRAE books, it was probably my favorite reference. Once you get comfortable with material bang out as many practice exams as you can. I did the eng pro guides and NCEES practice exams and felt very good walking out of the exam.  

Thanks for the input, I will keep my eyes peeled for the newer versions and work through practice exams. You say NCEES practice examS, did you have access to previous years practice exams?

Yes, I did have one reflecting the older format. I might have looked at a few problems but didn't really take it as an exam. Once you get a good handle on the type of problems and topics that will be on the exam you can pull practice problems from various sources accordingly.

Back