Mechanical HVAC/R Prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moe Szyslak

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am going for my 2nd attempt at the PE Mechanical HVAC/R this April. I recall reading that some people used the practice exam for TFS to help prepare. In what way is the TFS practice exam useful? I also read that the older practice exams (2001,2008) are sought after,  why is that and does anyone know where I can attain the old HVAC/R practice exam? I only had the current practice exam that NCEES offers for my first attempt in October; I scored a 41/80.

I am just trying to get the best resources I can to prepare for this next one. Thanks for your help.

Interested to know this as well regarding the older practice tests. Currently I’m reading and working through “HVAC Simplified” by Kavanaugh, then will switch over to practice exams and problems. I unfortunately need a better base in the fundamental ideas than purely practice problems. 

There is some cross-over of concepts, but with the new format that basically eliminates subject matter from the other disciplines, I don't see how focused study on it would help significantly. Review the topics the exam will cover and decide accordingly.

That said, I still contend that any PE should know the subject matter from other disciplines and I will continue to direct my opprobrium at the test makers for the nonsensical format change.

Back