Cone Cluch problem

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Workx

Reaction score
I was trying to work out a problem from Shingley's book. The problem is below. I calculated cone angle from the length. My answers are not correct. 

I am wondering if I calculated cone angle correctly.  Sin alpha = .5/2.25 = .22 is this correct?

A cone clutch has D = 12 in, d = 11 in, a cone length of 2.25 in, and a coefficient of friction
of 0.28. A torque of 1.8 kip ? in is to be transmitted. For this requirement, estimate the actuating
force and maximum pressure by both models

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to visualize this in my head, but I'm thinking the angle would be arctan(.5/2.25).  Try that and see if you get the correct answer.

I was trying to work out a problem from Shingley's book. The problem is below. I calculated cone angle from the length. My answers are not correct.

I am wondering if I calculated cone angle correctly. Sin alpha = .5/2.25 = .22 is this correct?

A cone clutch has D = 12 in, d = 11 in, a cone length of 2.25 in, and a coefficient of friction
of 0.28. A torque of 1.8 kip ? in is to be transmitted. For this requirement, estimate the actuating
force and maximum pressure by both models
Can you please post the answers, I didn't find them

Back