Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
Sign in to follow this  
mudpuppy

Determining Bridge Clearance?

Asking for Mrs. mudpuppy....  how do you determine the minimum clearance of a bridge above a navigable waterway?  She says some of the waterways have a published height by the Coast Guard, but the one she's working with does not.

As an EE I'm totally lost here.

• Haha 1

The AASHTO Bridge design code should have it in there.

I'm a buildings guy though.

I was involved in Design Build project in Alaska once. I wish I could find the direct quote from the Forest Service but it went something along the line of "This river is known to have iceberg travel due to calving from the nearby upstream glacier. The nearby downstream Railroad Bridge has but affected by glancing blows periodically, so please design this bridge slightly higher than the RR Bridge. We opine that height will be sufficient.".

My answer, based on experience- guess, then go a little higher for safety.

21 hours ago, bwin12 said:

I was involved in Design Build project in Alaska once. I wish I could find the direct quote from the Forest Service but it went something along the line of "This river is known to have iceberg travel due to calving from the nearby upstream glacier. The nearby downstream Railroad Bridge has but affected by glancing blows periodically, so please design this bridge slightly higher than the RR Bridge. We opine that height will be sufficient.".

My answer, based on experience- guess, then go a little higher for safety.

My wife was finally able to get a hold of someone from the Corps of Engineers yesterday and this was basically their answer.  Except they don't know how high the next bridge over is.  Apparently the Coast Guard is the ultimate authority on this (for navigable waterways), but they're furloughed.

This method works  920x920.jpg

nope not enough

Edited by P-E
  • Haha 3