Organizing Practice exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eatsleep

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wanted to get a feel for how people go about organizing their practice exams. I see some people mention they'll look at a practice exam question during the exam. Are you guys scanning the tests in and organizing the questions by topic?

Here's what I did the second time I took the exam that I thought worked really well.

For both exams, I had a cheat sheet, but I also had highlighted problems in practice exams that I wanted to study and stick out during the exam.  But after studying for two exams, I found things that I was so so on the first exam, I knew now.

So here's what I did, I went through each practice exam, i.e. say Complex Imaginary, and I went through each and every problem and if I thought I may need it during the exam, I made a list in Microsoft Excel and put what page it was on and what type of question it was.  I printed this and put it on the cover of every large book.  This way I could reference tha tlist and save myself from scanning through the entire book for that one question.

Here's what I did the second time I took the exam that I thought worked really well.

For both exams, I had a cheat sheet, but I also had highlighted problems in practice exams that I wanted to study and stick out during the exam.  But after studying for two exams, I found things that I was so so on the first exam, I knew now.

So here's what I did, I went through each practice exam, i.e. say Complex Imaginary, and I went through each and every problem and if I thought I may need it during the exam, I made a list in Microsoft Excel and put what page it was on and what type of question it was.  I printed this and put it on the cover of every large book.  This way I could reference tha tlist and save myself from scanning through the entire book for that one question.
This sounds like a great idea, thanks for sharing

Hello! I took a slightly different approach to eatsleep. I did scan the exams so I could have individual pages, and then I sorted them into appropriate sections. I wrote it all up here, which is an easier layout than me copy/pasting here. Let me know if you have questions about it. Essentially the end product is a binder with everything in it, on individual pages, sorted by topic. It was a little paper intensive but it worked really well for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back