Deleted

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I will go with the program and do what I am told (like the good bureaucratic engineer that I am).

I would love for someone to convince me why understanding archaic engineering surveying techniques is a good use of time. The future of surveying isn't rods and sticks. 

I digress, time to get back to work. This industry needs a shake up of epic proportion - I am likely ducking out long before that happens. 
Oh I definitely agree with you. It is absolutely archaic and requirements need to be changed. Add in that California is the only state that requires this exam and it just makes it that much worse.

Thanks, that helps. I guess I am supposed to purchase these textbooks? Is that the expectation of the board? I think it is fairly ridiculous, if that is the case. I find it interesting that other engineers are not questioning the process. We are being put in a strange position, IMO.  Engineering 8-hour exam - cool, studied most of all of this material in university, was an easy pass. Seismic? Understand the importance, easy pass. Surveying? I am really not convinced, and I think we are getting our chain yanked. 
By all means no you don't have to purchase these textbooks, I was just answering your questions if the board recommends any references or materials, since the Survey has no code or manual the board chose some comprehensive survey textbooks as a reference.  

Seismic is the exact same way. And quite frankly so is the national exam. Surveying is a part of many facets of civil engineering so having basic knowledge is not a big deal. 

Interesting. I will go with the program and do what I am told (like the good bureaucratic engineer that I am).

I would love for someone to convince me why understanding archaic engineering surveying techniques is a good use of time. The future of surveying isn't rods and sticks. 

I digress, time to get back to work. This industry needs a shake up of epic proportion - I am likely ducking out long before that happens. 
This has to be the most dramatic post of all time. I'm assuming you went through 4 years of college and maybe a hundred exams that had "archaic" techniques you don't even use anymore and you're going to let one more fairly simple 2.5 hour exam bother you for more than a few seconds? Come on man. Thousands of others have passed this test and there is no reason you can't pass either with the information given to you by the board. 

The surveying Test Plan provides a nice breakdown of the expected material to understand for the California Surveying Exam. However,  I am slightly taken aback by the lack of clear direction to obtain the necessary resources in preparing for the topics. From my research on these forums, it seems like the most recommended approach is to purchase a course and other supplementary workbooks.  Many of these courses seem unorganized, incomplete, and generally seem to be a questionable use of (hard-earned) money. Especially considering the number of people who have already purchased these workbooks in the past, it seems like a wasteful dissemination of resources that should be consolidated.  

I studied Civil Engineering from the University of California, and Surveying was not a required course to graduate. Surveying is not a critical component of my engineering career or academic career. Why am I being expected to purchase a course and a bunch of practice problems? Can the board recommend a comprehensive Surveying textbook?  Should I go back to community college and take a surveying course? How does the engineering board recommend studying for this exam?

Am I the only one that is confused by this? I have worked hard through my academic career and professional life, and now I am being met with passing a fairly vaguely outlined Surveying exam. Never learned, practiced, used, or plan to use. Why did the University of California remove Surveying as a required course (maybe a question for another day)?

Cheers
To answer your question the most simple way possible...the California Board provides this exam because 1) the laws require the California Board to do that; and 2), Section 6755.1(b) states that the examination "...shall also include questions to test the applicant's knowledge of seismic principles and engineering surveying principles as defined in Section 6731.1."

Section 6731.1 of the Professional Engineer's Act defines what 'surveying' a licensed civil engineer is allowed to practice or offer to practice.  Whether that civil engineer actually practices that is not the point.  The fact that you are allowed to, is the point.  Since the licensed civil engineer is allowed to practice this, that licensee must demonstrate sufficient competency in doing so, all in the name of protecting the public.  And for these latter facts, it is assumed that the candidates for licensure as a civil engineer already know how to perform these activities, not simply that it is something one would read up on.

If anyone wishes to eliminate this requirement, it's quite simple to resolve.  Just lobby a member of the California Legislature to author a bill to remove that requirement.

In the meantime, I would recommend that you review the reference list (already posted by someone else) and the test plan specifications for this specific exam which can be found at https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/plan_civsurvey.pdf

I recommend taking the EET course, i took the CPESR course and did not pass. Finally i had to purchase another one because that one didn't work for me and I passed on my first try after taking EET. There is a lot of information and practice problems which really help as well as four exams.

Go through the exams twice and make sure you just know how to do everything. You just don't know what you are going to get with Survey. Seismic was so much more straightforward you just practice it.

I recommend taking the EET course, i took the CPESR course and did not pass. Finally i had to purchase another one because that one didn't work for me and I passed on my first try after taking EET. There is a lot of information and practice problems which really help as well as four exams.

Go through the exams twice and make sure you just know how to do everything. You just don't know what you are going to get with Survey. Seismic was so much more straightforward you just practice it.
I had exact opposite experience. Failed seismic after studying with Hiner for 3 months but passed survey with CPESR with 5 weeks of studying. For me personally seismic was a more difficult concept so now I am restudying with EET and it's just starting to seem organized in my head. Have to mention I did some surveying at work my first year so that was extremely helpful I think. But you are right that one needs to practice problems solving, that I missed when studied seismic the first time around.

Back