NYS PE Application Processing

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDeebs PE

Reaction score
Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but I searched through the forums and didn't see anything that would particularly answer my question. Here it is:

I am currently an EIT in NYS and looking to apply for the October 2019 Mechanical HVAC exam. I have been gaining HVAC work experience working for a consulting engineering firm under direct supervision of a P.E. I was hired in May 2015 right after graduation. I know that in NYS you cannot send in future work experience on your application, so I have to wait until May of this year before I can send in that portion of the application.

I spoke to the NYS office today and asked if May is enough time to review and approve the application for the October exam. Their response was "well I sure hope so" and they informed me that it typically takes 8-16 weeks to review the application. My worry is that the application will not be reviewed in time to register online with NCEES prior to the NCEES deadline. So, my question is for anyone that has already gone through the NYS application process, does the state usually take upwards of 2-3 months to review the application? I would really like to not have to wait for the 2020 exams.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

I would like to know the answer to this as well! Also how do we check the status of our applications? Can it be done online? Getting a hold of someone on the phone takes so long in NY :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to know the answer to this as well! Also how do we check the status of our applications? Can it be done online? Getting a hold of someone on the phone takes so long in NY :(
When I spoke to the state, they informed me that they don't contact us unless there is an issue with any of the paperwork. In terms of checking on whether your application is currently being reviewed, or how far along it is, I'm not sure.

Back