Two PE exams taker

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

civilenvi

Reaction score
I think somebody here has had the same experience like as now I have. 

I already have a registered PE license(Environmental Engineering) in CO. But I have been working in CA, So I was trying to find how to transfer my PE to CA Civil -Water Resource and Environmental. It was complicated and really stressful for me. So I took the Civil - Water Resources and Environmental PE exam on Oct 2018 and passed.

Meanwhile I recently decided to move to Virginia, so now I stopped studying the two CA specific exams and I am looking for a new job opening in Virginia. 

I think two PE licenses (Environmental Engineering PE and Civil-Water Resources and Environmental PE) registration will give me more opportunities in job market. Is it true or stupid? I do not need to have two PE licenses? I just select one for registration? 

I need your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it will make a difference to most employers in Virginia that you passed two different PE exams. Most are only looking to see if you have a current license.

It's not clear from the description above if you have a current Civil PE license?

Virginia (and adjacent Maryland) doesn't license by discipline. So nominally you would only need to have one passed exam. Virginia has some weirdo prereq requirements* for taking the PE exam so it may even be beneficial that you took it again recently.

DC does license by discipline, so it could potentially could matter if your firm is doing any civil-only work in DC or another state that does discipline licensing. Of course, if that were the case you would need to apply by comity for those jurisdictions.

*Depends on if you have a ABET approved BS Engineering degree or not. If you possess one: you have nothing to worry about.

Back