Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
Invisible

References for Power PE Exam Preparations

Hello Everyone,

I took my PE exam in Texas on October 2018 and I passed it. I came to know about this forum only after I took the test. I wish I knew it before. I wanted to share some useful references and books so that it may help someone.

1.      NEC 2017, NESC, NFPA 70E, NFPA 497, NFPA 499, NFPA 30B – Try your best to get all the standards mentioned in the syllabus. You might get tested in any of the standards.

2.      Stephen Chapman / Wildi for Machines – Both are really good books. I used Chapman and I loved it.

3.      Ned Mohan for Power Electronics

4.      Power System Analysis and Design by Glover and Sharma – This helped me a lot. I would say this book is a gem. Preparing from this book hugely helped in learning stuff faster.

5.      Graffeo – This is a must have book for the exam. Many topics are explained very well in this book. And this is a quick reference for any formula you need.

6.      School of PE – I did not take this course since I did not have much time before the exam. But I have heard a lot of people saying that it is a very good way to start the preparations.

7.      Hand book of Batteries by Linden – This is a great book for batteries. I would recommend just to have it with you before the exam.

8.      Complex Imaginary – I solve all 4 question papers. The problems were pretty easy but helped me to get an idea of the ways we could get tested. It helped me a lot how to focus my preparations.

9.      NCEES Sample Paper – This is a must solve paper. This also helped me a lot in the ways I could get tested.

10.   Camara PPI Practice Exams – I would recommend you guys to solve these questions once.

11.   Engineering Pro Guides questions papers –The difficulty level in these papers are pretty high.  Again I came to know about this paper really late. But I feel solving this question papers might help a lot.

P.S:

1.      I prepared for the test just with the intention of passing the exam. I did not give my best in my preparations. This made me have little panic after the test. I would suggest everyone to prepare in such a way that you are aiming to ace all the 80 questions. This way, you would give your full potential and ace the test.

2.      Take something to eat to snack to the exam hall. I was pretty hungry just after 6 hours of exam and it did affect my efficiency of answering.

3.      After the exams, do not get scared of anything other people would say. Just stay confident for the result.

4.      Even if you fail, do not really worry about that. First of all, you were bold enough to prepare and sit for the exam. And you have failed only in a really tough exam and you have done something very constructive. I prepared for the exam for 6 weeks and I thoroughly enjoyed those 6 weeks. And was waiting for the results for another 6 weeks. I used to just Netflix and chill at home for more than 3 years. But those 3 months, I felt like I am achieving something in life. You guys would feel the same too. So never worry about the results.

Thanks to the forum members:

You guys are doing a great job. I just got my promotion and position hike after my PE.

Invisible,

Congratulations on passing.  I took it in October and did not pass but I'm taking it again in April.  My score was 43/80 and I was fairly balanced in most categories, getting my highest % correct in Codes and Standards.  Like most people I scored worst in Protection, but I did far worse (4/13 or 31%) in protection than any other category.

I will look at getting some of the materials you mentioned that I don't have, such as Ned Mohan's book.  I have a "Power System and Analysis" book, but it's by Grainger, not Glover and Sharma.  I found the one I have difficult to read, but that's just me.  

Of course I have the NCEES practice exam, but I've never heard of the sample paper.  

Thanks for sharing.

NFPA 497, NFPA 499, NFPA 30B

Thanks for the great write up and summary. Where can you get these references? Other than buying a book for each one of these codes? It's getting expensive buying so many resources. 

Edited by roy167

Yeah I bought the first three and took to the exam but not the last four and the ones Roy mentioned.  I haven't even looked at how much they cost.  If they're worth a few questions they're worth getting though.  

Other than NEC how many questions will be on the exam from those references? I am contemplating if I should buy those references.

I definitely used the NESC for a couple of questions and same for NFPA 70E.  I don't know how much the last 4 on the list would have helped me.  

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 11:23 AM, MEtoEE said:

Invisible,

Congratulations on passing.  I took it in October and did not pass but I'm taking it again in April.  My score was 43/80 and I was fairly balanced in most categories, getting my highest % correct in Codes and Standards.  Like most people I scored worst in Protection, but I did far worse (4/13 or 31%) in protection than any other category.

I will look at getting some of the materials you mentioned that I don't have, such as Ned Mohan's book.  I have a "Power System and Analysis" book, but it's by Grainger, not Glover and Sharma.  I found the one I have difficult to read, but that's just me.  

Of course I have the NCEES practice exam, but I've never heard of the sample paper.  

Thanks for sharing.

Same here. My overall score was 42/80 and, of course, I scored lowest in protection. It was 23%.

With code I answered half correctly. If I would have answered the other 6 correctly I would have passed the exam barely. This is definitely an area I can work on for the next time around, and overall taking the real exam gave me insight on how to improve in the other areas I did somewhat good or decent. 

Now when it comes to protection...in 2018, in my opinion, any course prep out there did not accurately match the problems in protection at all. To put things in perspective the pass rate nationally for the October 2018 exam was 54% in power. That is the lowest on record. I am betting it is because of the new emphasis on this topic. Hopefully moving forward the study prep out there will refelect the new changes to the power exam

Edited by RadioBox
  • Like 2

I'm not sure what they ask as far as protection goes but if you are electrical engineer and have been working in an industry for 5 years or more, shouldn't you be able to answer those questions? or get an answer based on the information provided such as answer based on TCC, relay setting  etc? I think it would be better if NCEES provides sample questions which will help folks prepare along those lines otherwise, anyone can ask just about anything.   

Edited by roy167
  • Like 2

True. The official ncees practice exam is a joke, and at the end of day the responsibility lies on the individual to pass.

The exam is fair in the sense that you’re told upfront that anything is fair game.

just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 2:36 PM, Phenomenon083 said:

Other than NEC how many questions will be on the exam from those references? I am contemplating if I should buy those references.

70E is helpful. I don't recall actually using 30B, 497, 499. 

20 minutes ago, LyceeFruit said:

70E is helpful. I don't recall actually using 30B, 497, 499. 

Bought 70E regardless. Already spent more than $1500 for this exam so didn't mind spending $50 extra.

28 minutes ago, Phenomenon083 said:

Bought 70E regardless. Already spent more than $1500 for this exam so didn't mind spending $50 extra.

70E is definitely the one of those 4 to get. I referenced it more than once. 

• Like 1

NEC 2017 code, NFPA70E (2018) and NESC 2017 seems to be what we need for April 2019 exam. Let me know if this not correct. I checked with NCEES and they said they will be using 2018 70E, Many people are under the impression that it will be 2015. Just want to make sure folks are aware.