Hiner vs. EET

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhoYourBoat

Reaction score
I'm looking into these two options to prepare for taking the seismic exam in early April. Anyone have remarks on either? I won't be doing the live seminar for either one (I live kinda far from Pleasanton/Rancho Cordova). I was leaning towards live webinar, but it seems Hiner won't have that for all of 2019 according to the website.

Just hoping for some insights into EET live webinar/resources vs. Hiner's on-demand. Thanks!

Edit: This is for the seismic exam!

Last edited by a moderator:
I took Hiner's on demand webinar course. I managed to pass my first time using this. I've also heard EET is rock solid as well. 

The reason I went with Hiner is to support him as a small business and he didn't let me down. He's also incredibly responsive to e-mails. 

That's a good point about supporting him as a business. I've heard good things about both as well, but there's no real deciding difference except that there's no live option for Hiner. I haven't gone deeply into the material so I don't know if I'll need the extra accountability to have the live webinar or do better in smaller chunks with the on-demand.

I took Hiner and self-studied the workbook, I didn't do the online course. I don't have a structural background and I passed. I've also heard EET is really amazing. So either way you're set.

Can't speak on EET, but if you go the on-demand route for Hiner you get a access to an online practice exam where you can practice a timed test similar to how they'll test you in the actual exam. 

I'm actually taking the EET on-demand webinar right now and it is super organized! I can see over 50 hours of videos from both the Fall 2018 and Spring 2018 sessions including their workshops. There are 3 practice exams in a book that were shipped to me and simulation exams online. The lectures are also neatly organized in a separate book. Supposedly, we don't need to bring anything else besides his seismic handouts/workbooks because all the necessary information is included inside.

Dr. Ibrahim is really nice and actually emailed me to check my progress. In general, he tends to respond very quickly (like within 24 hours). 

I heard a lot of great news about Hiner too but I'm glad I took the EET course. Hopefully, I'll pass within the next few months!

I've done the Live seminar for Hiner. I'd say that Hiner provides everything you need to pass the class. Lots of homework and prep work outside of class. I spent about 2 hours a night working through the problems and then all day Saturday in his class. I spent close to 70+ hours outside of the class room preparing for the exam. He also provides two practice exams (one in the back of the SDR workbook and another via Classmarker). You could probably sign up for Hiner's on-demand course, but I think he only lets you watch the video ONCE. No rewinds on the videos. Good luck!

I've done the Live seminar for Hiner. I'd say that Hiner provides everything you need to pass the class. Lots of homework and prep work outside of class. I spent about 2 hours a night working through the problems and then all day Saturday in his class. I spent close to 70+ hours outside of the class room preparing for the exam. He also provides two practice exams (one in the back of the SDR workbook and another via Classmarker). You could probably sign up for Hiner's on-demand course, but I think he only lets you watch the video ONCE. No rewinds on the videos. Good luck!
"...but I think he only lets you watch the video ONCE. No rewinds on the videos"

You can watch the videos however you would like within the time frame (~40 hours) allotted. Some of the more important/difficult videos do not count  against your either. I found the allotted time to be plenty.

I have self studied using EET materials workbook/ Practice exam I took the exam last week and felt I have over stuided- really recommend you have ASCE7- IBC

ALSO : I extremely recommend this new practice exam I really flelt it mimics the  actual exam https://www.amazon.com/Civil-Practice-Exam-California-Principles/dp/1722837268/ref=asc_df_1722837268/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312202813865&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10338634394333723150&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031921&hvtargid=pla-569810265003&psc=1

I'm not very familiar with EET but IMHO, Hiner's reference book is an absolute work of art. He also provides supplementary quick-reference sheets and tables that are absolutely invaluable in such a time-sensitive test.

I'm not very familiar with EET but IMHO, Hiner's reference book is an absolute work of art. He also provides supplementary quick-reference sheets and tables that are absolutely invaluable in such a time-sensitive test.
I absolutely agree, but EET's cheat sheets are superior to Hiner's sheets- I have both and used the EET ones on the exam. EET's cheat sheets are absolutely priceless and they come with the purchase of their workbook or practice exam, you don't have to buy their course to get them, unlike Hiner. 

I've taken both review courses. I didn't pass after taking Hiner's course but I did pass after taking EET. Dr. Ibrahim's teaching method worked well with a student like me (limited structural background, slow at understanding seismic concepts). Good Luck!
When you passed it do you remember roughly what was your score ? would you say 32-35 is enough to pass? 

When comparing the two classes, my friend put together the following comparison table.  I thought it might be helpful to share here.  

(For what it is worth, my personal recommendation is EET) 

Best of luck everyone!  

Hiner

EET  - Seismic​

40 hrs

56 hrs

Limited to 40 hours of watching

Unlimited watching

Not Applicable

Free repeat

Not Applicable

Live webinar or seminar has access to all recordings

1 CBT – repeat once

3 CBT - Unlimited

On-Demand class Fees does not include book

On-Demand class Fees includes books

https://seismicreview.com/index.html

http://www.eetusa.com/testimonials/seismic

Half my co-workers took Hiner, the other half took EET. At the end, they both passed on their 1st or 2nd attempt. At the end, it's all based on your study habits. Take every answer you see here with a grain of salt, everyone just vouches for the course they personally took. Only someone who took both courses in its entirety can make a good comparison.

With that said...I took the Hiner course and passed. Structures is my weakest Civil subject (I work in Water Resources after all!). But I know that if had taken EET, I would have passed as well.

As for the 40 hours vs 56 hours. I'd rather spend just 40 hours and pass, than spend 56 hours and pass. (Just my thoughts!)

With that said...I took the Hiner course and passed. Structures is my weakest Civil subject (I work in Water Resources after all!). But I know that if had taken EET, I would have passed as well.

As for the 40 hours vs 56 hours. I'd rather spend just 40 hours and pass, than spend 56 hours and pass. (Just my thoughts!)
Thank you! I'm also in Water Resources, but I used to do metal buildings. All things considered, I am leaning towards Hiner on-demand.

When comparing the two classes, my friend put together the following comparison table.  I thought it might be helpful to share here.  

(For what it is worth, my personal recommendation is EET) 

Best of luck everyone!  

Hiner

EET  - Seismic​

40 hrs

56 hrs

Limited to 40 hours of watching

Unlimited watching

Not Applicable

Free repeat

Not Applicable

Live webinar or seminar has access to all recordings

1 CBT – repeat once

3 CBT - Unlimited

On-Demand class Fees does not include book

On-Demand class Fees includes books

https://seismicreview.com/index.html

http://www.eetusa.com/testimonials/seismic

This is so helpful!! Thank you.

Thank you! I'm also in Water Resources, but I used to do metal buildings. All things considered, I am leaning towards Hiner on-demand.

This is so helpful!! Thank you.
With Hiner, you also get the IBC, ASCE-7 Sections you need for the exam as (PDF) and they are colored highlighted, not sure about EET but I think you only get the tables, not the whole section.

@vip-eng I took EET and didnt pass but I had

marginal, deficient, marginal, marginal, deficient defeicent I honestly would say I missed it by 2-3 questions. I think if you get 35/55 your in the clear.... I am taking seismic again

for the second time with EET next week... pretty sure i will nail it feel much better I understimated it the first time

@vip-eng I took EET and didnt pass but I had

marginal, deficient, marginal, marginal, deficient defeicent I honestly would say I missed it by 2-3 questions. I think if you get 35/55 your in the clear.... I am taking seismic again

for the second time with EET next week... pretty sure i will nail it feel much better I understimated it the first time

Thank you so much! I really hope you pass it next time.

Did you take the survey and pass it? Any recommendation for materials or courses? 

Back