License with troubled past

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bprit

Reaction score
Im starting the process getting the things together that I need to get my license. I only have a few more months before my 4 years is done and I have already passed my PE. I come to the criminal record section and feel completely defeated. As a youth I got in a lot of trouble including a couple of dui's and a possession charge, no felonies. Have I completely screwed myself out of getting my license? Has anyone else experienced trying to get a license with things like this? Any advice would greatly appreciated excluding people telling me how crappy I am for my past indiscretions. Thanks

Im starting the process getting the things together that I need to get my license. I only have a few more months before my 4 years is done and I have already passed my PE. I come to the criminal record section and feel completely defeated. As a youth I got in a lot of trouble including a couple of dui's and a possession charge, no felonies. Have I completely screwed myself out of getting my license? Has anyone else experienced trying to get a license with things like this? Any advice would greatly appreciated excluding people telling me how crappy I am for my past indiscretions. Thanks
You sound like the kind of guy I want to party with.

Fill out everything truthfully and send in.   You may need to appear in front of the state board.   You’ll probably be okay. 

As a youth I got in a lot of trouble including a couple of dui's and a possession charge, no felonies. Have I completely screwed myself out of getting my license?
Not necessarily. The state for which you are requesting license matters a lot. Some states (read: board members) are more restrictive than others. Twenty years ago Pennsylvania was basically a zero-tolerance state because of one or two board members. Things have since relaxed quite a bit.

Fill out everything truthfully and send in.   You may need to appear in front of the state board.   You’ll probably be okay. 
:plusone:

Yes, definitely fill out the form truthfully! If you lie on your application then you are pretty much screwed for life in every state. As @P-E stated, you may need to go before the board and explain how you've changed for the better and how those sorts of things will never happen again; you may need additional character references.

I am in Texas
Same! I see your post is from December, have you already started the process? I read though the section of law that pertains to the subject and from what it seems like you are okay given that you don't fall into certain categories.

Back