Seismic Reference Materials - CA-Seismic/Survey Exams - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
jgiang

Seismic Reference Materials

For the seismic exam, the references I could really see myself using are EET's Fundamentals of Seismic Analysis and Design of Buildings, ASCE 7, and the IBC. I think these 3 books covers almost all of the exam. 

Are there any other references of significance that I should bring/consider? 

On 12/20/2018 at 2:32 PM, jgiang said:

For the seismic exam, the references I could really see myself using are EET's Fundamentals of Seismic Analysis and Design of Buildings, ASCE 7, and the IBC. I think these 3 books covers almost all of the exam. 

Are there any other references of significance that I should bring/consider? 

This is all you need 

• Like 1

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought Dr. Ibrahim said in one of his lectures that we only need the EET's Fundamentals of Seismic Analysis and Design of Buildings in addition to his cheat sheets since all the necessary tables are in these materials. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krisEng said:

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought Dr. Ibrahim said in one of his lectures that we only need the EET's Fundamentals of Seismic Analysis and Design of Buildings in addition to his cheat sheets since all the necessary tables are in these materials. 

You’re right then. I did not take EETs course. I only purchased the book and already have the reference codes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IwantthatPE said:

You’re right then. I did not take EETs course. I only purchased the book and already have the reference codes. 

Did you pass the seismic exam from 1st time using EET workbook? 

58 minutes ago, vip-eng said:

Did you pass the seismic exam from 1st time using EET workbook? 

I took hiners course and failed. I work in water/environmental so I think I just needed more practice. I know many folks pass it with just his course. This time I am studying hiners material again and purchased EETs book and it comes with practice CBTs. I am planning on taking it again next month. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IwantthatPE said:

I took hiners course and failed. I work in water/environmental so I think I just needed more practice. I know many folks pass it with just his course. This time I am studying hiners material again and purchased EETs book and it comes with practice CBTs. I am planning on taking it again next month. 

Got ya. Did you feel the actual exam problems were more difficult/ more tricky  than the ones in Hiner’s workbook? 

I brought AWC SDPWS, too.  You might need a few tables from it.  I don't remember if I actually use AWC SDPWS during the test, though.

I didn't have to bring the AWC SDPWS. Hiner and I'm pretty sure EET, have all the necessary tables from that book already included in their workbook. 

I passed Seismic last month. All i needed was Hiner and ASCE 7-10. I brought the IBC both times that I took the test but never really had to use it. But it's still good to have just in-case.

• Like 3

On 12/28/2018 at 8:35 AM, Baby Hamster said:

I didn't have to bring the AWC SDPWS. Hiner and I'm pretty sure EET, have all the necessary tables from that book already included in their workbook. 

I passed Seismic last month. All i needed was Hiner and ASCE 7-10. I brought the IBC both times that I took the test but never really had to use it. But it's still good to have just in-case.

Did you feel the question in the second time was harder than first time or same difficulty? 

On 12/30/2018 at 12:19 AM, vip-eng said:

Did you feel the question in the second time was harder than first time or same difficulty? 

I felt it was about the same the second time. I hear the board spends a lot of effort to make each exam the same level of difficulty each quarter. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baby Hamster said:

I felt it was about the same the second time. I hear the board spends a lot of effort to make each exam the same level of difficulty each quarter. 

Very accurate statement

• Like 1