Tank Tread Concept

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboomafoo

Reaction score
I'm still an engineering student in my Junior year, so bear with me.  This is a side project I sometimes work on in my spare time.

I've created a rough draft concept for possible track links on an early Cold War MBT.  The average weight of a 50s/60s MBT was around 43 metric tons, and desired ground pressures range from .7 to 1.125 kg/cm3, which for a typically sized MBT would result in a track width somewhere between 72 and 45 cm.  I chose 64 cm because it's a good round number that's higher in the spectrum.

I'm wondering two main things: 1. Which method of rubber shoe replacement would be more practical?  I like the second, but I've never seen it done before on a tank, so does it have a major drawback like increased wear and tear?

2. What specific types of steel and rubber are typically used in tank treads?  Since they need hardness more than they need ductility I figure higher carbon steels, but did they use 1045?  4140?  Is the rubber a solid block or is it reinforced?

Thanks in advance!

TreadSchematic1.png

Back