How to get an electrical engineering license in California if you already have one in another state

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpEED

Reaction score
I live and work in Minnesota,  I just recently passed the PE exam, and I will soon be a PE Electrical in Minnesota. I am wondering how do I get a PE license in California ? I checked their board website, and I could not find anything helpful. 

Does anyone know what are the requirements for transferring a license from MN to CA?

thank you!

I live and work in Minnesota,  I just recently passed the PE exam, and I will soon be a PE Electrical in Minnesota. I am wondering how do I get a PE license in California ? I checked their board website, and I could not find anything helpful. 

Does anyone know what are the requirements for transferring a license from MN to CA?

thank you!
I looked into this a number of years ago and ended up emailing the CA board directly to request more info. I believe when seeking electrical licensure in CA, you need not take the state specific seismic & surveying exams. I'd have to go back and look to see what the other requirements were. At that time, I was also planning on applying using my then active NCEES Record.

@CAPLS might be able to help provide some additional high-level details as well.

I looked into this a number of years ago and ended up emailing the CA board directly to request more info. I believe when seeking electrical licensure in CA, you need not take the state specific seismic & surveying exams. I'd have to go back and look to see what the other requirements were. At that time, I was also planning on applying using my then active NCEES Record.

@CAPLS might be able to help provide some additional high-level details as well.

thank you!
SpEED (cool name by the way) - If you are interested in becoming licensed in California as an Electrical Engineer and have already passed the FE and PE-electrical exams, you would just need to submit an application demonstrating a minimum of 6 years of electrical engineering experience along with four licensed references, at least one of which was in responsible charge of that experience.  If you have an ABET BS degree in engineering, than you will only need to demonstrate a minimum of 2 years of electrical engineering experience.  Oh and also, submit a request to NCEES or MN Board to send an exam/license verification form to the California Board.

Link to application and further information:  https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/appintrope.shtml

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you  @Knight1fox3 and @CAPLS for the advice. I have started getting my NCEES record requirements met first. Once, I have all the exams/license verified, work experience,  education and work reference all in NCEES, then I will apply to CA using NCEES. 

thank you again!

Back