Pennsylvania - Steps after you Pass

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant0064

Reaction score
This may already be on here somewhere, but couldn't find anything.  Once you get notified from NCEES that you passed the PE Exam, what are the next steps to actually acquire your official license?  Is there an application to fill out?  Does anyone recommend starting an NCEES Record?  Any info will help, thanks!

I believe they issue the license automatically after you pass. I just logged into pals and I now have a license number (side note, i also just ordered my stamp). Its up to you now to complete your CE credits and renewing. I'm just wondering how many CE credits we need to renew it in September, since its in the middle of a cycle right now.

I believe they issue the license automatically after you pass. I just logged into pals and I now have a license number (side note, i also just ordered my stamp). Its up to you now to complete your CE credits and renewing. I'm just wondering how many CE credits we need to renew it in September, since its in the middle of a cycle right now.
Yep that's all there is to it...I called the State because they had my old address listed, and they said I'm licensed and will receive the documents in the mail.  As far as CE credits, I'm not exactly sure how that'll work for us at this point.

Yep that's all there is to it...I called the State because they had my old address listed, and they said I'm licensed and will receive the documents in the mail.  As far as CE credits, I'm not exactly sure how that'll work for us at this point.
24 professional development hours (PDH) are required in PA by September 30th of every odd number year (see link below):

https://www.dos.pa.gov/ProfessionalLicensing/BoardsCommissions/EngineersLandSurveyorsandGeologists/Documents/Board%20Documents/Board%20Document%20-%20Eng%20Act%2025%20CE%20section%204.5.pdf

PA awards various amounts of PDH based on the activity/event entailed, as described in the link above. The link also describes what information has to be kept on file to show you successfully completed a PDH (most of the time it’s a certificate if you’re attending a workshop/conference). This information is never checked unless you get audited.

Also, you’re required to keep a log of your PDH using the following form (see link below):

https://www.dos.pa.gov/ProfessionalLicensing/BoardsCommissions/EngineersLandSurveyorsandGeologists/Documents/Applications%20and%20Forms/Application%20-%20Continuing%20Professional%20Competency%20Activity%20Log.pdf

What I’m not sure about, but I’m assuming, is sense it shows our license expires 9/30/19, that we’ll be exempt from the requirement for this cycle, but then we’ll have to maintain PDH after this cycle.

You don't need PDHs for your first renewal in PA (and most other states).

Has anyone that passed received their license in the mail yet? PALS says printed, but it has said that for a week now. I'm wondering if since I moved since I applied for the exam the first time I took it, if they sent it to the wrong address. My address is right in my PALs profile, but my license has my old zip code attached to it.

Back