2017 Complex Imaginary

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyceeFruit PE

Woodchipped Voice of Reason
Reaction score
So I have an old copy of the Complex Imaginary books - I inherited a bunch of material from coworkers who took the exam before the test was updated to NEC 2017 & the huge shift to protection.

I went on their website to find out if there was an updated version. And it looks like they did update in 2017 but the previews they have available on their website show "copyright 2011" so I'm hesitant to purchase the updated version. I reached out to the company almost a week ago with no response.

So I'm wondering if there is someone with the 2017 version who can let me know if it's actually been updated or not. 

I really don't want to sink more money into this endeavor if they're still the stuff from 2011. 

Thanks 

I will check the copyright year when I go home...I bought them from their website before the October 2018 exam.

Putting a reminder in my phone.

I will check the copyright year when I go home...I bought them from their website before the October 2018 exam.

Putting a reminder in my phone.
How useful is this book for Power PE preparation? Considering to other references like engproguides, graffeo, NCEES and now extra focus on Protection books. I bought one but I don't think i will have enough time to practice CI.

How useful is this book for Power PE preparation? Considering to other references like engproguides, graffeo, NCEES and now extra focus on Protection books. I bought one but I don't think i will have enough time to practice CI.
I found them helpful, especially the NEC book. It provides for a foundational understanding of the material one can expect to see on the exam.  At the same time the question difficulty doesn't reflect what you'll encounter on the actual exam.  That being said, no practice exam really does.

Sorry my son has been sick so I haven't opened the cart (I left all my books in the cart in the garage after the Oct test). I will try to check tonight.

I found them helpful, especially the NEC book. It provides for a foundational understanding of the material one can expect to see on the exam.  At the same time the question difficulty doesn't reflect what you'll encounter on the actual exam.  That being said, no practice exam really does.
+1 on the NEC book.  When I took it in 2014 I don't think I missed an NEC question.

So I have an old copy of the Complex Imaginary books - I inherited a bunch of material from coworkers who took the exam before the test was updated to NEC 2017 & the huge shift to protection.

I went on their website to find out if there was an updated version. And it looks like they did update in 2017 but the previews they have available on their website show "copyright 2011" so I'm hesitant to purchase the updated version. I reached out to the company almost a week ago with no response.

So I'm wondering if there is someone with the 2017 version who can let me know if it's actually been updated or not. 

I really don't want to sink more money into this endeavor if they're still the stuff from 2011. 

Thanks 
Unfortunately it's the same! I have it and it didn't help a bit. The sample tests are too easy compared to the actual test and have maybe one or two protection questions instead of the 10 we saw in October 2018.

Good to know.  I'm glad I didn't spend too much time on CI.  I spent most time on NCEES and quizzes/post webinear homework problems on my online course.  This time around I plan on spending more time on Eng Pro Guides practice exam and Graffeo.  I'll probably do some of the CI exams but the other will take precedence.

Finished Complex Imaginary 4 volumes. Not very challenging, but gives you good practice of fundamentals. Every little bit helps, if you have the time then why not?  Their explanation is good and answers to almost all problems are correct which is good as last thing you want to practice on is wrong answers, then you are spinning your head. 

Can anyone who had done complex imaginary explain the test 1 problem 52 ? Im confused why the given voltage is divided by root 3. No where in the problem is given its Wye connected. 

I am going through complex imaginary code drill problem book. In the answer key, the page reference number does not match, code reference does match. I wish both were correct that way you can verify your answer. Can someone confirm this is problem or I am missing something.  

I am going through complex imaginary code drill problem book. In the answer key, the page reference number does not match, code reference does match. I wish both were correct that way you can verify your answer. Can someone confirm this is problem or I am missing something.  
I did like 150 questions in the drill book and I did find the discrepancy sometimes. I plan on doing the rest couple of weeks before exam just to be fresh before exam so im not sure how it is in the later half of the book

Last edited by a moderator:
Back