Helpful Reference

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewism

Reaction score
I just came across a great book. It's called "Handbook of Electric Power Calculations" by H. Wayne Beaty and Surya Santoso.

ISBN-13: 978-9387572959
ISBN-10: 9789387572959
Got in on eBay for around $30 new. It includes calculation procedures step-by-step, clearly labeled for the following subjects:

1. Basic Network Analysis
  2. Instrumentation
  3. DC Motors and Generators
  4. Transformers
  5. Three-Phase Induction Motors
  6. Single-Phase Motors
  7. Synchronus Machines
  8. Generation of Electric Power
  9. Overhead Transmission Lines and Underground Cables
  10. Electric-Power Networks
  11. Load-Flor Analysis in Power Systems
  12. Power-Systems Control
  13. Short-Circuit Computations
  14. System Grounding
  15. Power-system Protection
  16. Power System Stability
  17. Cogeneration
  18. Stationary Batteries
  19. Electric Energy Economic Methods
  20. Lighting Design
Take a look and let me know what you think. Looks very helpful.

I have this book, only problem I have with this book is even the problems are solved in a wordy manner making it difficult to quickly navigate. During exam you are not going to have so much time. I wish they made it more numerical or large foot print so it would be easy to reference. 

I have this book, only problem I have with this book is even the problems are solved in a wordy manner making it difficult to quickly navigate. During exam you are not going to have so much time. I wish they made it more numerical or large foot print so it would be easy to reference. 
It's a bit wordy. I guess you have to read through it to know what to look for. Still better than nothing and I like how it's all in one book.

This was a go-to reference for me both during my power engineering courses in my undergrad and for my MSEE. :thumbs:

I'm going through Wayne Beaty second time and finding it useful. For those of you, if you have time and looking for more practice, please get this book, may be able to find under 30 bucks on ebay. I did not like it the first time because of wordiness but as you prepare more, you also know more and hence the stuff is less boring when you can work the problem. 😁

I'm going through Wayne Beaty second time and finding it useful. For those of you, if you have time and looking for more practice, please get this book, may be able to find under 30 bucks on ebay. I did not like it the first time because of wordiness but as you prepare more, you also know more and hence the stuff is less boring when you can work the problem. 😁
Thanks for letting us know. I've read good things about that book on this forum. Not sure if I will have enough time to go through it but I plan to take it for the exam just in case

Thanks for letting us know. I've read good things about that book on this forum. Not sure if I will have enough time to go through it but I plan to take it for the exam just in case
My only problem with this book is, it is wordy and author has solved problems like you write text book in lines.   Problems should look like problems not text. In any case, I would spend little time in looking over so you know where to find the information as the information is presented in a very compact form.  

Back