Ohio Recomendation requirements - help

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don C

Reaction score
Well over ten years ago I took and passed the FE exam. I worked for ten years at a company with a single active PE, he was willing to recommend me. Unfortunately, the company hit hard times and  gave him the old "voluntary but not so voluntary" early retirement. He was going to keep his license and consult. Well 6 months later he passed away. I moved to a new company who had a PE, and he quit 2 weeks after I started and have been here two years with no replacement. I work in machine design where it is not a strong requirement, So PE's are few and far between. 

I have no PE's at this point to recommend me that know my full work history? How can I find people to recommend me if I work in an industry where they are not common currently?

My license is in texas but here you do not have to work for your references. I had friends write my recs and all three were approved. Call and ask, they are usually very helpful about the application process. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well over ten years ago I took and passed the FE exam. I worked for ten years at a company with a single active PE, he was willing to recommend me. Unfortunately, the company hit hard times and  gave him the old "voluntary but not so voluntary" early retirement. He was going to keep his license and consult. Well 6 months later he passed away. I moved to a new company who had a PE, and he quit 2 weeks after I started and have been here two years with no replacement. I work in machine design where it is not a strong requirement, So PE's are few and far between. 

I have no PE's at this point to recommend me that know my full work history? How can I find people to recommend me if I work in an industry where they are not common currently?
Note that although it may vary from state to state, typically you need not be currently working with a PE for them to recommend you and no one needs to know your full work history, so anyone still alive and well who you have worked with in the past should be able to give you their recommendation. Just have to track them down and ask. IME, those folks are typically very willing.

In California, if all of your experience came from areas and corporations that were exempt from professional licensure (ie: manufacturing, mining, aerospace, public utilities, R&D, industrial corporations), you don't even need a single PE as a reference. The only time they require you to submit a PE as a reference, is if you worked for an employer that had non-exempt status.

I am not sure what state you are in, but that may be the case in your location as well.

Back