When You Pass, What Not to Do or to Do (for people who didn't pass)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indeterminatein

Reaction score
I have a very smart colleague who also took PE exam with me. It was his 2nd and my first. He didn't pass but I passed. Since the office is really small, I want to do everything possible to encourage him and at the same time not to piss him off. What are some etiquettes you can think of? The first thing I am doing is not to talk about PE exam with everyone that I passed. Also I am not going to advise him how to study unless he asks. I know these are the obvious but I just want to make sure I don't upset him even more. I really care about this guy... 

Last edited by a moderator:
While your concern for your coworker is admirable, you accomplished something that you should be very proud of, and you should not have to curtail your enthusiasm in order to "not offend" someone else.

Talk about it with anyone who asks. If the "other guy" is offended by this, that is entirely his issue to deal with, not yours.

I was on the didn't pass side last April when three others at work did pass. I think it is perfectly fine to be excited about it for yourself and to let your co-workers know you passed since it is a big accomplishment. Just be courteous and don't sound like you are bragging about it, and maybe try to stay off the topic with your co-worker that didn't pass. Don't say how easy it was or that you will definitely get it next time, that pissed me off more than being happy for my co-workers that did pass.

I feel horrible now how I whined to him about I didn't study enough. While we were waiting, he definitely was expecting that he would pass. I should have kept my mouth shut. I kept telling him I would fail and he would pass. Well, he read the entire CERM book. :(  while I only studied for like 12-15 hours due to personal issues. So, I was sure that would be the case....  

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Everyone thinks in different ways, approaches problems in different ways. This exam is an individual affair, and the only person that can control his outcome on it is him. 

Not you.

Congratulations!

Back