Oct 2018 Environmental

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This thread is specific to the Oct 2018 ENVIRONMENTAL PE Exam.

*** DO NOT discuss specifics (exam questions, answers, problems, or solutions) of the Oct 2018 Environmental PE Exam. ***

Some hindsight questions for you:

1. As soon as you walked out of the exam room at 5 PM, how did you think you performed compared to how you thought you would prior to walking into the exam room?
  2. Did your results confirm what you felt walking out of the exam room? Did they confirm how you felt before you took the exam?

After I finished for the day, I felt extremely well prepared with the three reference materials I studied with and brought into the room. I brought only a backpack with the three references, and a clear gallon-sized plastic bag of toiletries/necessities (one ruler, one TI-30X (I loathe it), floss, mouthwash, chocolates, tissues, earplugs, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, tampons, eyeglass wipes, etc.) and I just found out I passed yesterday.

I was able to do a first pass on both the morning and afternoon sessions in <1 hour, then did a second pass in another ~1.5 hour, then a third, detailed review for the remaining ~1.5 hour.

Overall, after the exam was completed, I felt extremely confident. Which is NOT how I felt walking into the exam room that morning -- I thought I was screwed.

What about you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I felt prepared going into the exam. I still had some nerves, as was expected. To me the exam came a lot different than I expected.  I was that person who had the suitcase with every book under the sun. Through networking with some great folks on the environmental thread, I amassed a good arsenal of material. I heavily relied on SOPE notes as well. 

After the morning session, I was bummed out. When we were informed that there was 15 minutes left. I had gone through the entire exam and answered everything I knew and had only 26 questions answered. My strategy, was to ensure that I got everything I knew correct. I maybe got 3 more solutions before the proctor said 5 minutes remaining. I made educated guesses on the rest. 

The evening was better. At the 15 min remaining mark, I had 31  questions completed. However, I kept getting tripped up on two questions that I should have been able to do in my sleep so that dinged my confidence. I guessed for the remaining 9 questions.

I think the stress of getting tripped up on the three easy questions in the afternoon, plus only feeling confident on 26 in the morning made me believe that I was going to fail. I kept thinking, "What if I made foolish unit mistakes? Then that 26 that I answered correctly could easily be a 19"

I received my passing notification yesterday, so I maybe didn't make as many mistakes as I though I did. I knew there was going to be a chance that I could fail, but I was hopeful.

[SIZE=12pt]I'm still waiting for my results (Illinois examinee here).  This was also my 3rd time taking the enviro exam.  That being said:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1. I think I walked out of there about a little more confident than I walked in.  I prepared for the exam differently than the last two attempts (worked many, many, many more problems and focused less on conceptual reading).  Maybe it was how I prepared for the exam, but it seemed that the October 2018 enviro exam was a little easier than the April 2017 and October 2017 exams I took.  I was pleased with the number of conceptual questions that I happened to have the appropriate reference to answer.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2.  I dont know my results yet, so I guess I'll have to edit this post once I get my results.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I'm glad I went to the trouble to collect and print and some of the references I brought (took ~2 reams of paper to print it all; covered water, solid+hazardous waste and remidation).  Some of the remediation questions would have been impossible to figure out with them. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I took my trusty exam kit with me: two calculators, two spare batteries, a micro screwdriver, ibuprofen, Tums (TM).  Thankfully I did not need the batteries, screwdriver or Tums.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I did find myself saying, "WTF am I using this calculator for?  I need the OTHER one!"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I, too, did the multiple-pass approach to answering the questions.  It took a couple passes on the morning session to get everything I wouldnt be forced to guess on.  Although I clearly remember after 2 or 3 passes on the morning session, I looked at the very first question and thought, "This is super simple!  Why did I not see the solution to this 2 hours ago?"  Actually, now that I think about it, I had moments like that fairly frequently throughout both sessions. (Or happening to find a “working” formula to a math-based problem in my references)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I share a lot of the same sentiments @kncumber expressed.  I think the morning session, overall, was a bit of a bummer.  I hoped it wasnt going to set the tone for the afternoon session. I don’t think it did. The afternoon went much better.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I've been stressing myself more and more now that I know results are coming. I keep second-guessing on a few questions that a do remember...did I make a unit error? Did I neeed to convert this to another unit?  Was choice B "more correct" than C?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]/end being so **** neurotic [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Edit: I see NCEES updated their pass rates page for the October 2018 exams.. 34% pass rate for repeat takers? That can’t be good. Now I feel worse about it.  Now I think I REALLY f’ed up[/SIZE]

Congrats on your pass @notengineeringanymore. Glad to see the enviro PE exam getting some representation on here.  Wow, I took an entire suitcase of references in there with me, amazed you needed only 3. Good job.  

1.  This was my third attempt. I was planning a wedding the first two attempts and did not put in the study time that I should have.  This time, I studied my ass off. I started studying several weeks after my honeymoon and just went from there.  By the last month, I was studying both before and after work. Lots of practice problems, did a prep course, did as many problems as I could.  I was feeling pretty confident about it until the week before, when I failed a couple of practice exams.  I was still expecting to feel fairly confident about the exam on test day.  But I definitely walked out feeling like I had failed.  I left the morning session feeling sad and depressed; all I could do was eat my sad little lunch, stare at the skyline, and think sad, angsty thoughts.  I went into the PM session feeling totally defeated.  My husband picked me up from the test site, and no joke, I sobbed just about the entire way home.  I really, really felt like I had failed it.  

2. No, honestly, I'm shocked I'm passed.  I mean, I put in enough study time that it makes sense I passed...but the exam was so difficult that I really, really thought I had failed. Everyone told me afterward that there was still a chance that I'd passed, but the feeling I had leaving was so similar to the first two attempts that I assumed I didn't get it this time. I thought, "YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T KNOW MY TEST."  But now that I'm on the other side, I did better than I thought I had.

[SIZE=12pt]I'm still waiting for my results (Illinois examinee here).  This was also my 3rd time taking the enviro exam.  That being said:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1. I think I walked out of there about a little more confident than I walked in.  I prepared for the exam differently than the last two attempts (worked many, many, many more problems and focused less on conceptual reading).  Maybe it was how I prepared for the exam, but it seemed that the October 2018 enviro exam was a little easier than the April 2017 and October 2017 exams I took.  I was pleased with the number of conceptual questions that I happened to have the appropriate reference to answer.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2.  I dont know my results yet, so I guess I'll have to edit this post once I get my results.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I'm glad I went to the trouble to collect and print and some of the references I brought (took ~2 reams of paper to print it all; covered water, solid+hazardous waste and remidation).  Some of the remediation questions would have been impossible to figure out with them. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I took my trusty exam kit with me: two calculators, two spare batteries, a micro screwdriver, ibuprofen, Tums (TM).  Thankfully I did not need the batteries, screwdriver or Tums.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I did find myself saying, "WTF am I using this calculator for?  I need the OTHER one!"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I, too, did the multiple-pass approach to answering the questions.  It took a couple passes on the morning session to get everything I wouldnt be forced to guess on.  Although I clearly remember after 2 or 3 passes on the morning session, I looked at the very first question and thought, "This is super simple!  Why did I not see the solution to this 2 hours ago?"  Actually, now that I think about it, I had moments like that fairly frequently throughout both sessions. (Or happening to find a “working” formula to a math-based problem in my references)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I share a lot of the same sentiments @kncumber expressed.  I think the morning session, overall, was a bit of a bummer.  I hoped it wasnt going to set the tone for the afternoon session. I don’t think it did. The afternoon went much better.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I've been stressing myself more and more now that I know results are coming. I keep second-guessing on a few questions that a do remember...did I make a unit error? Did I neeed to convert this to another unit?  Was choice B "more correct" than C?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]/end being so **** neurotic [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Edit: I see NCEES updated their pass rates page for the October 2018 exams.. 34% pass rate for repeat takers? That can’t be good. Now I feel worse about it.  Now I think I REALLY f’ed up[/SIZE]
It's not over until it's over @In/PE/Out.  Take it from someone fully expecting to see the red box!

Congrats on your pass @notengineeringanymore. Glad to see the enviro PE exam getting some representation on here.  Wow, I took an entire suitcase of references in there with me, amazed you needed only 3. Good job.  

1.  This was my third attempt. I was planning a wedding the first two attempts and did not put in the study time that I should have.  This time, I studied my ass off. I started studying several weeks after my honeymoon and just went from there.  By the last month, I was studying both before and after work. Lots of practice problems, did a prep course, did as many problems as I could.  I was feeling pretty confident about it until the week before, when I failed a couple of practice exams.  I was still expecting to feel fairly confident about the exam on test day.  But I definitely walked out feeling like I had failed.  I left the morning session feeling sad and depressed; all I could do was eat my sad little lunch, stare at the skyline, and think sad, angsty thoughts.  I went into the PM session feeling totally defeated.  My husband picked me up from the test site, and no joke, I sobbed just about the entire way home.  I really, really felt like I had failed it.  

2. No, honestly, I'm shocked I'm passed.  I mean, I put in enough study time that it makes sense I passed...but the exam was so difficult that I really, really thought I had failed. Everyone told me afterward that there was still a chance that I'd passed, but the feeling I had leaving was so similar to the first two attempts that I assumed I didn't get it this time. I thought, "YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T KNOW MY TEST."  But now that I'm on the other side, I did better than I thought I had.
@txjennah...congratulations on passing the exam !!.. this must be a big relief for you and glad all your hard work paid off. Enjoy your early X-mas gift !

Thanks, and congratulations to you too! I'm so glad you got what you worked for. Now to keep up on continuing ed and so that we'll never have to do this again EVER!

Yay!!!  Little breakdown for me!

I had taken the Civil/Construction exam twice (April 2017/October 2017) before I finally switched to Enviro (which is what I actually practice, so I do not know what I was smoking when I registered/took the exam the first two times).  So even though this was my first time sitting for Enviro, I kinda had an idea of how the exam would go and how they'd have some really easy questions and then questions I'd need to go, "Don't have time.  Come back to it later and solve/guess".

Books: I only brought in a backpack and a shopping bag and a majority of my "references" were my SoPE notes, a very well-tabbed EERM, some practice exams, and I think one or two other books.  Once I get home I'll maybe pull out the bag to see what books I had brought besides that, but it wasn't many.

Studying: Enrolled with SoPE on-demand/webinar classes.  Was going to watch the on-demand classes before the webinar classes started, but kinda...didn't.  Before the webinar classes started I told work I could only work a straight 40-hour week and ate dinner before class.  Also told family/friends I couldn't hang out and I think after the first couple of text messages being ignored they stopped bothering me.  SoPE webinar classes were Mon-Thursday starting early September and I fully dedicated myself to the classes then.  Took Friday nights off to decompress from work/PE studying.  Saturday and Sunday were used to go over the previous weeks notes and tab the EERM in reference (Saturday) and re-attempt the practice problems in SoPE/practice books to make sure the concepts stick (Sunday).  I actually wrote out a simple schedule per week leading up to the PE exam which shows where I was "getting it done" so I wouldn't fall behind and be like, "Two weeks before the exam?  What should I be studying?"  I don't think I covered everything/there were def problems I had no clue to solve, but being able to 'flip' quickly and easily to a section of my SoPE notes helped calm me down a bit if I panicked.

Exam:  I had taken the PE before in the "NYC Area" and I had hated it.  It was located in Brooklyn at Pratt Institute and was a horrible morning commute due to nobody leaving for work at 7:15am, so there was no street parking available and the parking garages were full (due to people not being up/leaving for work yet).  When I registered I picked the "Syracuse Area" because even though it was a 1-hour drive from where I stayed the night before, it was a 1-hour drive that ended in ample parking/no stress/no traffic, which helped me get my mind into 'test-mode' before the exam.

For both sections of the exam, I swept through all questions and if there was something I was like "I DEF KNOW WHAT THIS IS/WHERE TO FIND THIS ANSWER" I answered it immediately.  Other questions, where I kinda knew/had more calculations, I tabbed and said I'd come back.  If all questions on a page were finished, I put a star in the corner so I'd flip past when I was doing additional passes.

AM portion of the exam, I think I had a pretty good handle.  Was able to answer around 30-32 questions and was feeling good, not super confident, but good.  Near the end, for AM questions that I had no idea how to answer/approach in the limited time frame, I kinda was like "Screw it.  Assume 10-questions per letter for the 40".  So I went through and filled in the bubbles that way.  PM session...had a lot more theoretical/field application stuff then I thought they'd allow (which worked for me since I worked a ton in the field).  Also, units/carefully reading the equation SAVED ME in some of these questions.  I literally would be like, "I have no clue", and I'd chase the units or re-read the question (should it be greater/lower than something they gave me) and around 65% of the time...the number I worked out from plugging a number through a conversion or fundamental manipulation (thinking like miles to feet or water ft to psi) gave me a good lead to the answer.  The 'fill in the blank with A/B/C/D based on frequency" didn't work for me on the PM because I def had more than 10 of a particular letter answer, and I KNEW THEY WERE RIGHT, so I kinda flailed with the answering at the end for around 7-questions.

Leaving...I had a weird feeling.  Like, I really could not tell if I had passed or failed? Previously when I left the Civil/Construction exams I was really feeling like I failed.  Whereas this one I left thinking, "What will be, will be.  There will be no traffic going home.  Go to Stella's barn and get fish and chips and a drink".  Even when my uncle, who is a PE, asked about how I felt, I really could only be like, "I think I did well, but not sure if I did well enough to pass."

Just really happy I passed and don't have to worry anymore.

Yay!!!  Little breakdown for me!

I had taken the Civil/Construction exam twice (April 2017/October 2017) before I finally switched to Enviro (which is what I actually practice, so I do no know what I was smoking when I registered/took the exam the first two times).  So even though this was my first time sitting for Enviro, I kinda had an idea of how the exam would go and how they'd have some really easy questions and then questions I'd need to go, "Don't have time.  Come back to it later and solve/guess".

Books: I only brought in a backpack and a shopping bag and a majority of my "references" were my SoPE notes, a very well-tabbed EERM, some practice exams, and I think one or two other books.  Once I get home I'll maybe pull out the bag to see what books I had brought besides that, but it wasn't many.

Studying: Enrolled with SoPE on-demand/webinar classes.  Was going to watch the on-demand classes before the webinar classes started, but kinda...didn't.  Before the webinar classes started I told work I could only work a straight 40-hour week and ate dinner before class.  Also told family/friends I couldn't hang out and I think after the first couple of text messages being ignored they stopped bothering me.  SoPE webinar classes were Mon-Thursday starting early September and I fully dedicated myself to the classes then.  Took Friday nights off to decompress from work/PE studying.  Saturday and Sunday were used to go over the previous weeks notes and tab the EERM in reference (Saturday) and re-attempt the practice problems in SoPE/practice books to make sure the concepts stick (Sunday).  I actually wrote out a simple schedule per week leading up to the PE exam which shows where I was "getting it done" so I wouldn't fall behind and be like, "Two weeks before the exam?  What should I be studying?"  I don't think I covered everything/there were def problems I had no clue to solve, but being able to 'flip' quickly and easily to a section of my SoPE notes helped calm me down a bit if I panicked.

Exam:  I had taken the PE before in the "NYC Area" and I had hated it.  It was located in Brooklyn at Pratt Institute and was a horrible morning commute due to nobody leaving for work at 7:15am, so there was no street parking available and the parking garages were full (due to people not being up/leaving for work yet).  When I registered I picked the "Syracuse Area" because even though it was a 1-hour drive from where I stayed the night before, it was a 1-hour drive that ended in ample parking/no stress/no traffic, which helped me get my mind into 'test-mode' before the exam.

For both sections of the exam, I swept through all questions and if there was something I was like "I DEF KNOW WHAT THIS IS/WHERE TO FIND THIS ANSWER" I answered it immediately.  Other questions, where I kinda knew/had more calculations, I tabbed and said I'd come back.  If all questions on a page were finished, I put a star in the corner so I'd flip past when I was doing additional passes.

AM portion of the exam, I think I had a pretty good handle.  Was able to answer around 30-32 questions and was feeling good, not super confident, but good.  Near the end, for AM questions that I had no idea how to answer/approach in the limited time frame, I kinda was like "Screw it.  Assume 10-questions per letter for the 40".  So I went through and filled in the bubbles that way.  PM session...had a lot more theoretical/field application stuff then I thought they'd allow (which worked for me since I worked a ton in the field).  Also, units/carefully reading the equation SAVED ME in some of these questions.  I literally would be like, "I have no clue", and I'd chase the units or re-read the question (should it be greater/lower than something they gave me) and around 65% of the time...the number I worked out from plugging a number through a conversion or fundamental manipulation (thinking like miles to feet or water ft to psi) gave me a good lead to the answer.  The 'fill in the blank with A/B/C/D based on frequency" didn't work for me on the PM because I def had more than 10 of a particular letter answer, and I KNEW THEY WERE RIGHT, so I kinda flailed with the answering at the end for around 7-questions.

Leaving...I had a weird feeling.  Like, I really could not tell if I had passed or failed? Previously when I left the Civil/Construction exams I was really feeling like I failed.  Whereas this one I left thinking, "What will be, will be.  There will be no traffic going home.  Go to Stella's barn and get fish and chips and a drink".  Even when my uncle, who is a PE, asked about how I felt, I really could only be like, "I think I did well, but not sure if I did well enough to pass."

Just really happy I passed and don't have to worry anymore.
CONGRATULATIONS!

All i took in was the EERM and all of the practice stuff that comes with them plus the NCEES practice exam and the NCEES Enviro Reference and some overviews of regulations that I printed out. There was at least one question that I got just because i printed random stuff at the office the day before. Go figure.

I only found myself guessing on a couple of questions. The rest I had at least SOME idea of what to do.

I ended up with a 74 in Texas. Don't know how many correct that equates to - but it's passing and that's all that matters.

it seemed that the October 2018 enviro exam was a little easier
You know, I have an inkling that the cut-score for Enviro is pretty high this time. I also found this exam to be much easier than what I had anticipated from EERM or my practice exam. I barely had to flip through my references at all in the exam room, which was polar opposite to how it was when I was studying.

All i took in was the EERM and all of the practice stuff that comes with them plus the NCEES practice exam and the NCEES Enviro Reference and some overviews of regulations that I printed out. There was at least one question that I got just because i printed random stuff at the office the day before. Go figure.

I only found myself guessing on a couple of questions. The rest I had at least SOME idea of what to do.

I ended up with a 74 in Texas. Don't know how many correct that equates to - but it's passing and that's all that matters.
Yep, I brought my EERM, my NCEES practice exam, and a binder that contained my NCEES PE Reference Handbook and some bound loose-leaf papers with my own solutions to the NCEES practice exam. Didn't print anything else out or look at anything else because when I started reading the EERM I got so freaked out by how much I thought I needed to know, I quit gathering references immediately and focused on knowing everything about the three I did bring in -- knowing all the appendices and tables and where to find anything if I needed a quick reference. May not have been the most wise decision, but it ended up working out for me, fortunately.

Congrats on passing @TX HookEM!  

When I took my exam I was seated upstairs, and some poor test volunteer lugged my suitcase up the stairs for me  :(  

You know, I have an inkling that the cut-score for Enviro is pretty high this time. I also found this exam to be much easier than what I had anticipated from EERM or my practice exam. I barely had to flip through my references at all in the exam room, which was polar opposite to how it was when I was studying.
Whoa if you all are considering this an easier exam, I'm glad I didn't see April 2018's exam. I thought it was really hard this go round haha.

I also barely flipped through my references. One reason is because the calculations were pretty straight forward, and the other reason is the amount of narrative questions. I never expected that many narrative questions. They are the type of question either you know it right away or you have to guess.  I didn't feel very confident after the exam but as least I passed.

Oh, I still had quite a few questions that I had to use my references for. Maybe that’s why I thought it was easier...I had the right reference and I knew how to use it. Or so I hope...oh I don’t like that 34% repeat examinee pass rate  (though that number doesn’t seem care whether it’s your first retake or your Nth retake...) Illinois never seems to have their **** together, and this exam cycle is no exception, it seems  

Oh man, tension and neuroticism is rising right now. Also, me, portrayed by some who isn’t me:

capture.png

This is my first attempt, I rigorously prepared for 6 weeks. I managed to get hands on most of the recommended references by our predecessors, but I only used EERM, Davis, LaGrega, and Engineering Unit Conversions by Lindeberg in the exam. I only purchased Davis, all other references were either borrowed from colleagues, libraries, Scribd or downloaded off the internet.

During my preparation, I read every book I had, and it helped me in answering a few theory questions without looking up for them. I was also able to find remaining theory questions in the morning session in my references and I felt morning was easy compared to the PM session. 

I couldn’t practice more problems because of my time constraints but managed to complete the NCEES practices test and few. I invested a lot of time in tabbing my references which really helped me. Engineering Unit Conversions by Lindeberg is another book one should have for this exam. 

I thought I answered around 35 in the morning and 30 in the afternoon. Rest of them were just educational guess. I left the hall with confidence but later I lost my hope. I experienced all 5 stages after the exam as others pointed out.  I got my result yesterday and I PASSED.  Congrats everyone who made it this time and for others, there is always another attempt. 

Back