Would it be appropriate to post questions "similar" to PE exam in a group for future reference?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No - I have enough headaches without dealing with the ncees trolls-

But thanks for asking first!

The consequence of sharing something too similar to what was on the PE is not worth the risk (ie deny or pull your license). I would lean towards keep them to yourself and don't share if you think it's "similar".  

Another quick question: NCEES is a private organisation just conducting exams? Can state boards approach ETS or any other service provider for better services or may be use no such services?

Short answer: many states yes.

Longer, but still short answer: yes but it would be such a pain for everyone involved that no one would ever do it. Plus it would pretty much end transferring licenses between states.

ETS has this GRE exam for which unofficial scores are released the moment you click complete exam...i wish NCEES does that for all its exams...

You know what?  I think you should do it!  Keep those license numbers down!
@RBHeadge PE Do you think PE license has any slight chance of jeopardising if someone messes with NCEES...Would it be legal to pull away someone's licence because he messed with the outsourced private exam conducting agency..Just curious with the legality of the relationship between state board and NCEES...

The GRE has been CBT for a very long time. It also has a very large number of test takers, and its just one test (with two sections).

The PPE is transitioning to CBT, and it won't be complete for a few more years. It has a few thousand takers per year, and there are over a dozen variations on the test.

@RBHeadge PE Do you think PE license has any slight chance of jeopardising if someone messes with NCEES...Would it be legal to pull away someone's licence because he messed with the outsourced private exam conducting agency..Just curious with the legality of the relationship between state board and NCEES...
Yes, it's happened before an it'll happened again. That private company has and will sue for damages for misuse of their IP - and win.

BTW, that thread is sticky'd in the "Anything about the PE Exam forum.

And even with the PE exam transitioning to CBT, you still have to wait 7-10 days, I believe.  This is because NCEES actively reviews questions to see if they make sense (like if there is a large number of incorrect answers for one question, they may actually throw it out based on evidence of them not portraying the right concept).  

Yes, it's happened before an it'll happened again. That private company has and will sue for damages for misuse of their IP - and win.

BTW, that thread is sticky'd in the "Anything about the PE Exam forum.
That is some BS if I've ever heard it. You are going to ruin a person's career because of stupid mistake. 

My superpower is test-taking, I took a decent review course and studied a ton.  I am obnoxiously confident I passed.  But I also have galloping anxiety, so I've been lurking here the past 10 days or so.  After sitting for the exam, I thought, YAY I MUST HAVE PASSED and then BUT ANXIIIIIIETY and then I'D BETTER WRITE DOWN ALL THE QUESTIONS IN CASE I HAVE TO TAKE THIS AGAIN.  And I wrote down the gist of 77 of them.  

Because I am Lawful aspiring-Good, the 77 questions are tucked away for Future Me.  But:  NCEES folks gotta know that once the questions are used once, the genie is out of the bottle.  They'd be silly-heads to reuse any question, or to reuse the, um, mix design, from one exam to another.

Part of being a professional, and an engineer, is maintaining personal integrity and confidentiality with customers. Everyone signs the NDA prior to taking the test.

I can assure you, that one stupid mistake at my job - specifically were I to let something slip that shouldn't be released to the public, will end my career.

I understand NCEES going after you if you write the problems down during the test then share them. That EB member was stress out from months of studying and testing, then shares some meaningless question online and NCEES ruins his career. I wouldn't have a problem with that if NCEES wasn't a monopoly. We don't have a choice to use another testing agency. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My superpower is test-taking, I took a decent review course and studied a ton.  I am obnoxiously confident I passed.  But I also have galloping anxiety, so I've been lurking here the past 10 days or so.  After sitting for the exam, I thought, YAY I MUST HAVE PASSED and then BUT ANXIIIIIIETY and then I'D BETTER WRITE DOWN ALL THE QUESTIONS IN CASE I HAVE TO TAKE THIS AGAIN.  And I wrote down the gist of 77 of them.  

Because I am Lawful aspiring-Good, the 77 questions are tucked away for Future Me.  But:  NCEES folks gotta know that once the questions are used once, the genie is out of the bottle.  They'd be silly-heads to reuse any question, or to reuse the, um, mix design, from one exam to another.
You kidding right.....there were 77 questions!!! 

giphy.gif

Back