When You Should Add PE After Your Name - Page 2 - OCT 2018 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
RBHeadge PE

When You Should Add PE After Your Name

I am going to start my PE application for the state of Texas today. Should have started right after the exam. But I was scared like hell. Lol. Now I've to wait around 2 months for the state to approve my application and then provide me with my PE license

13 minutes ago, Invisible said:

I am going to start my PE application for the state of Texas today. Should have started right after the exam. But I was scared like hell. Lol. Now I've to wait around 2 months for the state to approve my application and then provide me with my PE license

Started mine too! I ordered a transcript, and then saw a note that since I'm an EIT they already have it...OOPS...

Filled out the online application, but waiting to submit until I get more stuff together. I am probably going to do the Ethics exam today and get that out of the way.

Only thing left will be polishing up my SER and asking for recommendations...

Good luck!

Interesting. Does this mean that in other states, people take the exam without registering with the board?

In NY state, you have to be approved to take the exam by the board (education, references, EIT, etc) so after taking/passing the test, there are no further steps.

Edited by chaosNJ
  • Like 1

@chaosNJ that seems to be true. I remember a friend took an exam 3 years ago in Wyoming (October), and got a license somehow at the beginning of March. I here in Iowa, as mentioned above, got the license in 24hours after passing an exam.. So it must vary by state

2 hours ago, chaosNJ said:

Interesting. Does this mean that in other states, people take the exam without registering with the board?

In NY state, you have to be approved to take the exam by the board (education, references, EIT, etc) so after taking/passing the test, there are no further steps.

A couple of years ago, Texas "decoupled" the exam requirement - you can take it before. I think there are 10-15 states where you can do that.

2 hours ago, chaosNJ said:

Yes. In some states, you are allowed to sit for the exam without having to meet the experience requirements. I'm in NC and I know of two people in my office who have taken the exam before they had four years of qualified experience.

2 hours ago, indeterminatein said:

Are we allowed to put PE-pending? 

@indeterminatein, are you talking about after your name in professional correspondences? If so, no, I wouldn't. That would look silly and unprofessional. Once the board processes your paperwork and check you'll be good. You can wait 2 more weeks.  :) 

Edited by matt267 PE
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 8:30 AM, Invisible said:

I need to do that now. I wished I would have done it right after the exam so that I would have something official to show for passing, but I was pretty sure I failed pretty badly. I did do the fingerprinting and ethics exam, so I just need to write up my SER and get recommendations, which is a pain, but a whole lot easier than studying! It would have been fun to sign my Christmas cards as Rebecca, PE, but I guess I can do that next year lol

Thats very true. Even I can't wait for the day when I could add a P.E next to my name. So I am trying to complete my application as early as possible. And right now I am trying to get PE references for me. I am an electrical engineer who wrote the Power exam. Can my PE Reference be a Civil Engineer? 

On 12/17/2018 at 9:39 AM, monty01 said:

My name was added to the roster over the weekend.  I guess the PE is now official!

What state? I'm still waiting in Massachusetts for it to be posted on the board website website. I called and asked the board when they're expecting to post and the lady said "anytime now." I asked if anyone knew any more specifics and she said no. ...which seems unlikely.

On 12/18/2018 at 10:35 AM, Enginerd7 said:

What state? I'm still waiting in Massachusetts for it to be posted on the board website website. I called and asked the board when they're expecting to post and the lady said "anytime now." I asked if anyone knew any more specifics and she said no. ...which seems unlikely.

I'm in OK.  I'm sure they are swamped with processing new licensees.  I just happened to take the law & engineering exam the next day after getting the result notice.  I guess that's why I got my license number in one of the early groups. 

Edited by monty01

Just start using it - you passed the exam.  As long as you don't put a Seal with your name on an engineering document you won't be violating any of the Ethics (or in some cases State) rules/laws.  

Obviously, you have to wait until your license number is actually assigned (continuously check your State professional licensing Webpage), to order your seal.

Also, if your State offered PE License plates (as New York does), you will need a copy of your actual State registration certificate before you can put in an order for them.

Congratulations, and don't worry about the little things anymore - only the jealous or slighted (and I'm not only talking about those 'without' a PE - you will see) would even think of question it :)

On 1/1/2019 at 8:41 PM, NY-Computer-Engineer said:

Just start using it - you passed the exam.  As long as you don't put a Seal with your name on an engineering document you won't be violating any of the Ethics (or in some cases State) rules/laws.  

This is terribly bad advice. Even having a business card, or using the PE after your name in an email can be construed as practicing Engineering without a license in many states if you do not have an active license.

Also, the exam is only one part of the qualifications. If you pass the exam, but do not have the mandated experience (this is possible in places like Texas), or references that your state requires, then you haven't met the requirements.

Just wait until your license number has been issued. Period.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2019 at 2:59 PM, Road-N-Bridge PE said:
On 1/1/2019 at 8:41 PM, NY-Computer-Engineer said:

This is terribly bad advice. Even having a business card, or using the PE after your name in an email can be construed as practicing Engineering without a license in many states if you do not have an active license.

Absolutely bad advice. The last thing you want to do is start your career as an almost-licensed PE with a disciplinary action taken against you.

Here's some pertinent information regarding what constitutes unlicensed activity in Florida: "Using a name or title tending to indicate that a person holds an active license as engineer. Examples include: Professional Engineer, Agricultural Engineer, Air-Conditioning Engineer, Architectural Engineer, Civil Engineer, etc."

Of course, the laws and rules governing professional engineers vary from state to state.

Edited by FBPE Rep
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, FBPE Rep said:

Absolutely bad advice. The last thing you want to do is start your career as an almost-licensed PE with a disciplinary action taken against you.

Here's some pertinent information regarding what constitutes unlicensed activity in Florida: "Using a name or title tending to indicate that a person holds an active license as engineer. Examples include: Professional Engineer, Agricultural Engineer, Air-Conditioning Engineer, Architectural Engineer, Civil Engineer, etc."

I disagree.

I passed the PE exam this last October, and my PE license application doesn't go up for review till next month. There is no way in hell I would risk saying I am a PE until I have my license number. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NY-Computer-Engineer said:

I disagree.

You're disagreeing with the Florida Board of PE rep? Really? Seems like a bad decision 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’d be curious to see a counter argument as well...

My take: I waited until after my license was shown in the WA state license search website to add P.E. after my name and to state that I was a P.E, even though the PE exam is always the final step in the current WA state licensing process. Maybe I’m overly cautious, but in my mind, it’s better to be safe than sorry. State licensing boards may vary in terms of how nit picky they are (Oregon, anyone?), but I spent way too much time pursuing my license to want to risk squandering it over a technicality.

Also I haven’t started using P.E. in my email correspondence yet. It’s a personal decision, but I don’t necessarily want everything I say to carry the authority of P.E. at this point...

27 minutes ago, LyceeFruit said:

You're disagreeing with the Florida Board of PE rep? Really? Seems like a bad decision 

I based my original suggestion based on the New York board.  In NY you are allowed to use the title even after your registration expires.  You are only restricted in 'Practicing', which means using your Stamp or providing professional advice to individuals or organizations that are not covered by the "corporate exclusion" (supported by all fifty States) for Professional engineers.

^ The above presumes you have already been issued a license number that is existing but possibly expired.  That does not seem applicable to examinees who have passed the exam but waiting on the board.

NY requirements are defined here: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pels/pelic.htm with additional information provided in Section 7208 of the Education Law http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pels/article145.htm.

• Like 1

This is pretty clear in Florida statutes:

471.031 Prohibitions; penalties.

(1) A person may not:

(a) Practice engineering unless the person is licensed or exempt from licensure under this chapter.

(b)1. Except as provided in subparagraph 2. or subparagraph 3., use the name or title “professional engineer” or any other title, designation, words, letters, abbreviations, or device tending to indicate that such person holds an active license as an engineer when the person is not licensed under this chapter, including, but not limited to, the following titles: “agricultural engineer,” “air-conditioning engineer,” “architectural engineer,” “building engineer,” “chemical engineer,” “civil engineer,” “control systems engineer,” “electrical engineer,” “environmental engineer,” “fire protection engineer,” “industrial engineer,” “manufacturing engineer,” “mechanical engineer,” “metallurgical engineer,” “mining engineer,” “minerals engineer,” “marine engineer,” “nuclear engineer,” “petroleum engineer,” “plumbing engineer,” “structural engineer,” “transportation engineer,” “software engineer,” “computer hardware engineer,” or “systems engineer.”

Though someone may have passed the PE exam, they are not licensed until it has been verified with NCEES and a license number is issued. (At least in Florida.)

But check your own state's statutes and rules, which may be different from Florida's.

Edited by FBPE Rep
  • Thanks 1